One room cools more than the others?

+9
  • William William on Nov 03, 2021

Rooms closer to the furnace will cool/heat faster that the ones further away. If you have an unfinished basement you can check if the supply ducts coming off the main trunk have a wing nut with a handle which would be a damper. Those can be adjusted so the runs closed to the furnace can be partially close while the ones further away can be opened more. This is know as "balancing" in the trade. My crew and I installed a lot of dampers in older homes that didn't have any. Then balanced the airflow.

• Betsy Betsy on Nov 03, 2021

Hi Rbo: Are you wanting it to be warmer or cooler? If warmer, check to see if the register vent is open all the way and, if you have access to the duct work, check the flap opening. There should be a 2 or 3 inch flat piece of metal attached to the duct work with a wing nut. Loosen the wing nut and move the flat piece of metal forward or backward. Inside of the duct work this flap moves a flap to increase or decrease the air flow within the duct. Check to see that the flap is horizontal within the duct. I'm not sure how yours looks, but when mine is closed, I can hear it scrape the bottom of the duct. That's closed. If your flat piece is straight down, you want it to be horizontal. Also, check around the window openings to see if any air is entering or escaping. Do this by setting fire to a small piece of wood, let it burn a bit and then blow it out, having smoke billow up from the stick. Then, rum the stick around the edges of your window. If smoke is entering or exiting, the smoke will react accordingly. If nothing is going on, the smoke will continue to just move upwards. Also, don't just close your windows, lock them. This makes the seal better.

Hope this helped.

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Nov 03, 2021

Hello, Probably furthest from the Heat pump?

• Deb K Deb K on Nov 03, 2021

Hello, it may sound silly, but check the vents to make sure they are open on the slower rooms, adjust the rooms that cool faster by slightly closing the vents, tinker with it and you should be able to balance them out. Hope this helps you out.

• Janice Janice on Nov 04, 2021

You should be able to balance the air flow (both A/C if central air & the heat) by adjusting the vents. As others have indicated maybe not have the vents as open closer to the source of AC/heat.

• It may be what side of the house the room faces, too. I know the sun hits our house on one side more and that side is always hotter than the other side. Typically the southern side of the house will be the hottest.

• Maura White Maura White on Nov 07, 2021

Is the AC unit in the room that cools more? You may need to use fans to blow the cool air evenly through the house.

• Dee Dee on Nov 08, 2021

I had that problem sort of. I had one room which felt like it was not cooling, Turned out the duct had slipped off. My AC guy found it when he went up to check my system. Don't know how it happened.

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Nov 09, 2021

Hello. There can be several reasons. And our situation it was because of a lower density insulation in the older part of the house. We actually put a mini split in to help heat and cool the larger room.

• Kmdreamer Kmdreamer on Nov 09, 2021

Add a small fan to the top of the door way corner to blow the sir in to another also make shure the vents are all open and clean

• Simple Nature Decor Simple Nature Decor on Nov 09, 2021

Make sure the vents are open