How do i fix this if the rest of the room is plaster?


I'm a little confused I live in a really old house that is made of all plaster walls and ceilings that I'm in the middle of trying to fix a little bit and repaint but when I got to this room I noticed this was here and from what I saw online it doesn't look like you can get nail and screw Pops in plaster so I'm not sure how to go about fixing it. I'm a single mom on a very tight budget so am learning how to do things as I go by searching things online and fixing them on my own so any help even tips would really be appreciated

how do i fix this if the rest of the room is plaster
how do i fix this if the rest of the room is plaster

The rest of the ceiling looks like this and I'm thinking is plaster like the rest of the house

how do i fix this if the rest of the room is plaster
  9 answers
    • Amber Amber on Aug 03, 2022

      I don't think this is just plaster it looks like it's paneling as well I was hoping to be able to kind of repair it without tearing it down and having to redo the lathe and plaster in that patch but like I said my whole house is pretty much plaster so this is a very helpful video and one I havent seen yet so thank you I think it'll definitely come in handy.

  • Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Aug 03, 2022

    That looks like they did not put enough plaster and it's also uneven. The screws also throw another loop into it. I'm wondering if you are a renter or owner. You might consider covering the area completely and tapering down. If you are an owner, try living it while you save your money for a true solution. I would go with styrofoam panels for easiest solution to cover the area.

    • See 2 previous
    • Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Aug 04, 2022

      I agree with Ann. If it's over paneling, it needs to grab in between wood slats to adhere. You could try since it's adhering to existing plaster or paint, you might have better luck. I would do a thin coat and see if it sticks. Then if it does, keep applying thing coats as each one dries.

  • Seth Seth on Aug 03, 2022

    Hi Amber,

    You have a fair bit of work ahead of you on this one, but much respect for taking it on. Just about anything you do will be better so don't be afraid to just get in there and do it. Here is the basic process: first, you need to remove the screws and wood (at least I think its wood) that is being used as a patch. Then you might need to cut the plaster and lath back a bit to get to a piece of strapping or a floor joist that you will screw a new piece of drywall (either 3/8, 1/2, or 5/8 inch thick) onto based on the thickness of the surrounding material. Cut a piece of drywall to fit into the space and screw it in with drywall screws. Make sure it is not thicker that the surrounding ceiling. After that you will tape the seems between the old ceiling and new patch. Finally, you will use plaster you mix up (not joint compound) to cover the whole area including and beyond the patched area in several thin coats. Check out videos by the guy I linked below. He is brilliant these types of repairs.

    And this one as well:

  • William William on Aug 03, 2022

    Looks like somebody at one time had some kind of problem in the ceiling and did a terrible job patching any openings they had to make in the ceiling. If this is only in one area first step would be to remove that screwed in panel and replace it with a drywall panel using drywall screws. To me it looks like a piece of plywood they painted and it warped over time. Use drywall mesh tape and drywall compound over the seams. It will take quite a bit of sanding to smooth out the bad patching with the rest of the ceiling. Just take your time.

  • Redcatcec Redcatcec on Aug 03, 2022

    Since this is a rental, it would be up to the landlord to fix. Have you contacted them?

  • Deb K Deb K on Aug 03, 2022

    Hello Amber, if you want to try to feather a layer of plaster on the there, that would be the easiest to ease the look of this big patch, taper as you mentions and it should look a lot better.

  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Aug 04, 2022

    Fill in the gap, and then over board the lot with vinyl shiplap etc.