How to fill in gap around accent strip on mobile home cabinets??


My cabinets have an accent strip made of formica I believe, running vertically in a 2 in. strip. I wish to paint this a different color. What do I use to fill in this gap, as taping it off does not work?

q how to fill in gap around accent strip on mobile home cabinets
  12 answers
  • You could try some wood filler or bondo (car filler) , let it dry, sand it smooth, and then paint it.

  • Judy in Canton. Judy in Canton. on May 11, 2020

    Not sure if you wanted to paint only the strip or all the cabinets. The cabinet doors are flat so I would consider covering all the doors with peel and stick flooring tiles. You can get creative with the pattern, or have different tone for bottom cabinets, Have fun it is a great project.

  • Redcatcec Redcatcec on May 11, 2020

    Not sure if you are talking about removing the Formica strips and wanting to fill in the area where they were. If so, follow any of the above instructions from other Hometalkers. If you want to paint the Formica and leave it in place:

  • SawHorse Design Build SawHorse Design Build on May 11, 2020

    Are you talking about the strip that is behind the cabinet knobs?

    • Raggedyannie Raggedyannie on May 12, 2020

      Yes. The cabinet face is recessed so strip is flush with face of cabinet, but there is a gap on either side of the strip ranging from nearly 0" to nearly 3/16" in some places. Cheap crap! Lol

  • Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on May 11, 2020

    Hello you might have a couple options to seal cracks. The easiest and most cost-effective might be Caulk . Be sure it’s the type of caulk that can be painted. Caulk is commonly used in painting applications particularly when putting up crown molding, decorative molding or seems along baseboards or ceilings.

  • Nan W. Nan W. on May 11, 2020

    Hi! This video will probably help you.

  • William William on May 11, 2020

    Leave the strip and paint it. Lightly sand with 220 grit sandpaper to roughen the surface for paint. Prime with Kilz primer then paint. If you remove the strip it will be hard to find anything to fill the gap that will remain in place due to the thickness of the laminate.

    • Raggedyannie Raggedyannie on May 12, 2020

      I was referring to the gaps on either side of the strip. Little grooves as the face of cabinet is recessed so strip is flush.

  • Morgan McBride Morgan McBride on May 11, 2020

    I'd just paint the whole thing.

  • Dee Dee on May 11, 2020

    You could use Dowels or 1/4 round to fill gaps.

  • Cristina Addie Cristina Addie on May 11, 2020

    You could use a heat gun. Those Formica strips are attached with glue. Don't set the heat gun too close though. Heat up the glue underneath and use a scrapper.

  • Cynthia H Cynthia H on May 11, 2020

    I would fill them in before painting. Be sure to use wood filler that accepts paint. Keep it as level as possible while applying, scraping with a putty knife as you go so you have less sanding to make it level. Use a good sealer like Kilz and then paint. Good luck and stay safe!

    • Raggedyannie Raggedyannie on May 12, 2020

      Would Durham's water putty work? I have a huge can of it! If so, that will save $!

  • William William on May 12, 2020

    OK. Durhams wood putty would fill them in since you have it.