Do I need to hire an electrician to move a outlet to another location

Outlet is on a pennensula that I want to tear out. I want to move it approximately 3-5 feet from it's present location.

  9 answers
  • Linda Linda on Sep 21, 2017
    You should always have a licensed electrician do your work. I do know many handy men that do it themselves but if your asking then you shouldn't do it. You electrician may spot a problem in the wall that should be fixed.

  • Kristina Freeman Kristina Freeman on Sep 21, 2017
    depends on how handy you are and if you plan to sell your house cause it might not pass insection

  • Fix It Jen Fix It Jen on Sep 21, 2017
    Sorry, but yes you should. Electricity is not something you want to mess up.

  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Sep 21, 2017
    I would say Yes - Electrician unless you know what you are doing because electricity can be very dangerous

  • Dfm Dfm on Sep 21, 2017
    i agree with what Linda is saying.....dealing with an issue that can cause a fire...let the pro do it.

  • Jan Derr Nevins Jan Derr Nevins on Sep 21, 2017
    I would! I'm pretty handy but I stay away from electricity.

  • Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Sep 21, 2017
    Let the pros do it, moving it from one place to another is not something that should be done but by the pros. You don't know what you will run into as you will have to go into a wall to make the new outlet and get rid of the wiring you will be taking it out. He may not even be able to move it to exactly where you want it. Don't endanger yourself or others by letting a handyman, a friend, a family member or yourself do it.

  • Rhonda S Rhonda S on Sep 21, 2017
    There is nothing physically difficult in moving an outlet, but if there is no wiring to the new place, it could get tricky. If all you are doing is shortening the run from the cabinet to the peninsula by taking out the peninsula, it would be pretty easy. You would have to cut off the power to that circuit, cut the wires, install a new box in the appropriate place, cut a hole for the outlet in what-ever is going to cover the wall there, and wire up the outlet. However, dropping a new run of wire may not be for the first-time do-it-yourself-er. I'd get a bid to see what is involved before I did anything else.

  • Ann48742136 Ann48742136 on Jun 17, 2020

    I don't advise you to make this by yourself because you think that this is easy but it isn't easy at all. You can call an electrician to make this work if you don't know who, I can advise you the electrical contractors miami, they are the best in this domain and they can make this work in an hour. When I called them for the first time I thought they aren't professionals but how they worked, how much cleanliness they left behind them, I changed my mind and they repaired the fuse panel that works without problems for 2 years. Moreover, they took not so much money as I thought.