Trying to replace double light switches in my kitchen

Gloria S
by Gloria S
I am trying to replace a double light switch in my kitchen ( #1 of 3) & I am already in trouble !! Sure hope someone can help !! The wires are just hanging out of the wall, because I would wire it up ( ,thinking it was correct !!) then when I would turn the power on, there would be nothing , power, no light, no fan !! Now I don't know what wire goes where or what its purpose is !! Please h e l p me !!...Thanks in advance.

  4 answers
  • Suzette Suzette on Jul 16, 2017

    Hi Gloria, Here's a how to video that may help!

    Good luck!

  • Shirley Heikkinen Shirley Heikkinen on Jul 16, 2017

    If that fails, call an electrician! There is good reason electrical work often requires a permit!

    • See 2 previous
    • Shirley Heikkinen Shirley Heikkinen on Jul 17, 2017

      Take it as ridicule if you choose, but my concern is valid, people have been electrocuted working with electricity. I wish you only success with your project. Maybe when it's complete you'll be able to relax and enjoy it.

  • Taylor.kimberly001 Taylor.kimberly001 on Jul 16, 2017


    1st Have an electric current tester on hand when dealing with electrical.

    2nd Learn your wires:

    (a) Black = Hot (power wire)

    (b) Red = Hot (power wire connects to a light switch on the wall)

    (c) White = Neutral

    (d) Cooper color Wire = Ground

    So the wires that might be coming out the wall maybe black, white, copper, and/or red. If the junction box has 2 switches then you will have 2-black, 2 white, and 2-copper color wires.

    If the double outlet is pre-wired for a light and a ceiling fan the wires might have a red wire included.

    This is how to hook up the switch: Black (Red) wire = Brass color

    White wire = Silver color

    Copper wire = Copper color

    This is the same setup no matter for a switch or a outlet. I hope this has helped you. Have a good one.