How can I make my fitted sheets fit?

+3
I have a thin mattress atop a wire frame. The sheets are too deep so they don't fit snug and I hate wrinkles. Anyone know how I can make these for better?

• Evelyn Jordan Evelyn Jordan on Jan 13, 2018
    Get some elastic, sew corner to corner, top to bottom corners, measure si it stretches, this will help. In some stores you can but clips with elastic on them to help.

• Tina worley Tina worley on Jan 13, 2018
    You could try safety pin underneath the corners. If you don't want to sew the sheets.

• DesertRose DesertRose on Jan 13, 2018
    You can buy elastic clamps made especially for sheets to hold on the sheets from the bottom of the mattress. You can buy them where ever sheets and bedding are sold.

• 27524803 27524803 on Jan 13, 2018
    One way to make them fit better is to make a new "casing" around the perimeter and insert a larger, stronger elastic. Use Double Fold Bias Tape Quilt Binding... you will need several packages. And some 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch elastic, get the non-roll type for extra strength, enough to go around the perimeter of the mattress in one piece... Most fabric stores sell it by the yard (don't get the little packages).
    Divide the bottom sheet in half, down the long sides and mark the center (safety pins work well). Using a sewing machine, sew the quilt binding to the sheet (over the existing edges) stretching so they lay smoothly together. You want to make a tube from the quilt binding... from the center of one side to the center of the other side. You now have the new "top" casing. Repeat for the bottom half of the sheet.
    Cut the one, long length, of elastic into 2 equal pieces. Use an elastic insertion tool or large safety pin and insert 1/2 of the elastic into new top casing (secure loose ends using a safety pin... repeat for the bottom half.
    Now you need to put the sheet on the bed and pull the elastics through the casings until it fits tighter, closer to the way you want....easing the gathers around until they are mostly around the corners... be sure that you leave it loose enough that the elastic stretches enough to allow you to take the sheet on and off easily... TIE and SEW the ends of the elastic together,securely at the sides.. so it does not come apart when making and unmaking the bed.
    Also... I have noticed that most of the sheets today have a tenancy to stretch out a little as the week goes on... and then fit tight again after washing and drying.

• Janet Panos Janet Panos on Jan 13, 2018
    Hello! I purchased elastic to hold the sheet corners. Though online, I found them at Wal-Mart. The elastic has clips on either end to pull the sheet tight to each corner of the mattress. The price is reasonable, too — about five bucks. They are called sheet straps or sheet holders. Good luck!