Painted cabinets are peeling around handles. How can I fix it?

+4
I sanded My oak cabinets before I painted them, but for some reason they keep peeling around the knobs .. is there anything I missed doing ,and how can I fix this.
q painted cabinets are peeling around handles how can i fix it
  • Tina Tina on Jan 03, 2018
    Not sanded around the knobs, take them off! It will work then. Make sure the area is sanded and spotless as area around handles get greasy from fingers and the paint won't grip

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Jan 03, 2018
    Do you have long nails??? Fix a cover plate around handles.

• Ssm31637053 Ssm31637053 on Jan 04, 2018
    I have the same problem, also some chipping of paint. Since then I learned that I should have sealed after painting with a clear sealant. Now I have to repaint and seal.

• Keely Locke Schumacher Keely Locke Schumacher on Jan 04, 2018
    To fix this, take the doors off and remove the knobs. Sand the doors well with a rough, then a fine sandpaper, then clean with a degreaser or a mixture of vinegar, dish soap, and water. When clean and dry, use a liquid deglosser on the whole door. Then apply one coat of a good primer to the whole door. I like Zinsser. Once dry, apply an alkaloid cabinet paint. It will be more runny than other paints, but if you apply carefully with the doors flat it will even out. Let cure for a few days before putting them back up. Use them carefully until they fully cure, probably two weeks. Once cured, it will be a really hard finish that should last. Good luck!

• Gwen Claus Gwen Claus on Jan 04, 2018
    Thanks for all the tips

• Jamie Peck Janke Jamie Peck Janke on Jan 04, 2018
    to clean around the knob area after sanding, use TSP. lots of hand oil build up around handles and knobs

• M barnard M barnard on Jan 04, 2018
    The easiest fix is to buy and install matching black back plates around each knob. Check them out at Home Depot or Lowes if you want exact match. If you buy quantity they may be cheaper online. A whole lot easier than sanding/repainting and will look very nice.
    There might also be something in the electrical or hardware department (large flat metal washer with hole in center) that might work and be very inexpensive, just paint them black or even and accent color for fun.
    You could, if budget is an issue, STENCIL a back plate in black to match the knob, after smoothing just the damaged area. Still way better than doing all those doors again.
    Make life easy when you can! You did a lovely job with the paint and I know you are so disappointed but there is an easy fix that just might make this a happy accident. Raised 4 kids and learned to love happy fixes!