What can I do with failing foundation work?

Our company has repaired failed foundation work three times only to fail again. What can I do other than lose all the money invested in the failing repair company by changing companies?

  8 answers
  • Sharon Sharon on Feb 17, 2018
    Don't understand, are you the customer who had the work done? or are you a company investor deciding to bail out of company?

    • See 1 previous
    • Sharon Sharon on Feb 18, 2018
      I think its time for a soil engineer to see if anything can save the house, the ground maybe just too unstable. Could the house be relocated to another area of the property?
      It might be time to have a lawyer determine if the previous owners knew of the problems with the house and didn't reveal all.

  • William William on Feb 17, 2018
    I don't understand either! Are you the company or the customer?

    • Ann15409202 Ann15409202 on Feb 18, 2018
      I am the customer. I purchased house after previous owner had 17 piles put in with a lifetime guarantee to put the house on the market. Six months later, I noticed some structural cracks so I called in a licensed engineer that was recommended by a friend that had problems and apart from foundations engineer to examine the house and prepare report for foundation company who are licensed. They came out and agreed the piles had failed and they would replace them but I needed to add seven more which I did. Three time, they failed again and now I needed and added three more. After each repair I had the engineer come back and remeasure. Now my house has cracked that have separated about an inch from ceiling to paneled book shelve, separated in front bedroom corner and cracked across the wall and back up to the ceiling. Now other rooms are cracking that did not have issues. All work is lifetime guaranteed but not cracks, separation, painting, etc., nor the engineering cost at $350 check and $150 recheck each time. I'm so frustrated.

  • If your contractor has not repaired properly, I would seriously consider their qualifications - or lack thereof. Is this company licensed? Did they pull the proper permits for foundation work? Was it inspected per code by the local authorities? If after the second fail did they call in a soil expert or structural engineer or architect? If not? Why didn't they do so? That, right there is a huge red flag, at least for me.

    Do not pay them one more red cent. Contact your local building department to have them come out and take a look. I would hire qualified licensed professionals to complete the repair documenting every step of the way. Seek counsel, you need a construction defect attorney. Your state Bar can help you find a qualified attorney.

    Wite a letter or have an attorney write one for you demanding all your money back, send via certified mail, return receipt. I would also put their insurance carrier on notice, (an attorney can do this for you), for construction defect, breach of contract or whatever applies in your state.

    Here are some tips on hiring a qualified, licensed contractor.

    So so sorry this happened to you. Now you know better!

    • See 1 previous
    • Wow! I would be frustrated too. Shall I assume this house is on a hillside? I would shop around for other structural engineers as well as a soil and geological experts to see if there is another reason why the pilings are failing. To me that indicates unstable ground - could any number of reasons. Have you contacted your local city or county building inspectors? I would. Especially if you are in an earthquake prone area.

  • V Smith V Smith on Feb 17, 2018
    Read your contract and see if you agreed to arbitration. If you did, get the ball rolling in that direction. It is nothing for a small company to let you hang, they have very little to lose.

  • Mogie Mogie on Feb 17, 2018
    If a contractor did substandard work they legally have to fix it. Not sure did you pay someone and are not happy with their work?

  • V Smith V Smith on Feb 17, 2018
    P.S. You have already lost all the money you invested.

  • Ann15409202 Ann15409202 on Feb 18, 2018
    Great ideals! Thanks for the advice!

  • William William on Feb 18, 2018
    Have you gotten in touch with your homeowners insurance to complain about the work and damage that occurred after the repairs. May be they can push the company to correct the problem. You can also file a complaint with the BBB , your local building department and state licensing board.