I need to replace the toilet flange.


I was told my bathroom isn't up to code and needs completely re-plumbed. It works fine. Why can't I just replace the broken flange?

q i need to replace the toilet flange
q i need to replace the toilet flange

Toilet goes straight into stack. Sink drain goes into stack and could used replacing as it is galvanized. I believe it is wet vented.

Never any problems of smell or draining.

  13 answers
  • Here's a link on replacing the flange. I'd need more information to tell you why the bathroom isn't up to code.


    • See 1 previous
    • I guess, based on what you just said, it's not compliant. I don't live it Ohio, but I know some places allow things to be 'grandfathered in' if it's an older building. If you remodel, you have to be code compliant. It may be worth checking into!

  • Seth Seth on Jan 03, 2022


    How old is the house? Did you install the toilet and sink to begin with? If it is an older installation, it may not meet your current building codes, but probably did when it was first built. It is sometimes called "pre-existing non-conforming" and because of the extreme cost of bringing up to code, is allowed to exist as long as you do not plan a major renovation. If you are just repairing the existing plumbing (i.e. replacing a flange) it usually does not trigger a requirement to bring the entire bathroom up to code. Be careful of an unscrupulous plumber who may be trying to get you to pay for more work than actually needs to be done.

  • William William on Jan 03, 2022

    I would consult a plumber for an evaluation of the system. Should be free. he should be able to explain what needs to be done.




    Toilet placement should be 15" from sidewall to center point of toilet


    In many situations if no modifications have been made or the system has been in for a length of time they can be "grandfathered" in.

  • It depends on what the codes are where you live but I can tell you right off that the toilet and sink are required to be a certain distance from the wall on center (by me it's 18") so you can check with your local building department. Obviously that can't be remedied here. If someone is telling you this related to repairs, that's fine, just find out the codes and you'll be able to protect yourself from people looking to bilk you.

  • Mogie Mogie on Jan 03, 2022

    The other question is what exactly is not to code? And which code are we talking about? 2021 regulations are so much different than say, 1950 codes. I know some of the codes seem silly but they are in place for your protection. Try to look at your building department as someone to work with not against.

  • Janice Janice on Jan 03, 2022

    Who advised you the entire bathroom needs re-plumbed? Talk with them again to get specific info and then contact a plumbing company that has a good reputtion and have the plumbing checked by them. If they recommend the same, the plumber should be qble to tell you what the code violations are. as well. Get a couple of estimates for the work before following through with repairs.

  • Redcatcec Redcatcec on Jan 03, 2022

    More informed opinions from professionals would be the route to take, but do definitely look up your code violations and what is an acceptable solution to them. You could consider taking the toilet out and put in a larger sink or vanity?

  • Dee Dee on Jan 03, 2022

    I would call the city and find out the code you are supposed to be violating. Sounds to me someone wants to replace it all because of the galvanized pipe which could pitt and spring leaks

  • Flipturn Flipturn on Jan 03, 2022

    Seth is correct in his explanation. icon

    Re-read his comment.

  • Terilee Terilee on Jan 03, 2022

    I understand that, at least in order to sell a house, the sink and toilet can’t be that close together (understandable). Check with your local code inspector. Good luck !

  • Betsy Betsy on Jan 04, 2022

    Hi Jen: I'd get that person who told you that, come back, and have him/her write out exactly what's wrong, date and sign it. If it's just a flange, then that's all that should need to be repaired. Was it a person from the city or a repair person? If it's the city, then maybe the codes are different. If it's just a repair guy, I'd get a second and third opinion, along with quotes. And if they don't want to do that, I'd show them the door.

    Good luck

  • Deb K Deb K on Jan 05, 2022

    Hi Jen, here's some instruction on how to replace the toilet flange, hope it helps you out,


  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Jan 08, 2022

    You will have to find out the reasons from the person who said you needed to re-plumb it in again. or ask another Plumber?