How can I cover/protect the bottom of the door?

+12

Evidently, the previous owners used to shut their pet(s) in the bathroom. I don't really want to replace the door, but I would like to cover and protect it from future destruction. I apologize for how dirty it is - it is a small bathroom off my bedroom and I rarely actually close the door. I priced kick plates and they are ridiculously overpriced.

how can i cover protect the bottom of the door
  • A kickplate would be easiest, but you could try filling the edge with wood putty, let it dry, sand and repaint the door.

• Mogie Mogie on Jul 20, 2022

Yeap a kickplate would be the easiest fix it would hide the bottom of the door that is well used.

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Jul 20, 2022

How about a Brush draught excluder? Maybe just a piece of timber or plexiglass etc.

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on Jul 20, 2022

Have you considered a strip of plastic bent at a 90 degree angle, Lowes and Home Depot have them, you can paint to match.

• William William on Jul 20, 2022

How about a strip of wood and paint it the same color as the door.

• Teresa J. M. Lavender Teresa J. M. Lavender on Jul 21, 2022

That might work. It would have to be very thin so it wouldn't impact the door frame, and closing the door.

• Cecile Whyte Cecile Whyte on Jul 21, 2022

I would suggest using baseboard or regular crown moulding.

Measure your door height and width, also take a picture of the damage. Take it to your local hardware store and they will be happy to assist you with choosing the right size moulding for the door.

Give it a light sanding, then a coat or two of your fav color. Don't forget to also paint the moulding before attaching to the door with about 1inch brad nails or "No More Nails" glue. Don't forget to show us your handywork 😄

• Jodi Jodi on Jul 21, 2022

there are strips that slide right on the bottom of your door for weatherization you could possibly use.

• Michelle Leslie Michelle Leslie on Jul 22, 2022

Hi Teresa, a thin long strip of plexiglass would work. You can get it in different thicknesses and you can paint it too.

• Teresa J. M. Lavender Teresa J. M. Lavender on Jul 22, 2022

I had considered that. I didn't think about painting it though. I was concerned that the marks would still be visible. This is a really good idea! Thanks!

• Dee Dee on Jul 22, 2022

You could get a rubber door sweep at Home Depot they are $4.00 Amazon has draft stoppers that attach on the bottom of the door and goes up about 4 inches.

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Jul 22, 2022

You can patch with wood putty and then paint. Another option would be to do a decorative edge with contact paper all the way around like a frame.

• Rita Rita on Jul 22, 2022

It sure looks to me like you have some room on the bottom to nail a strip of decorative molding across the bottom. You can even treat the top of the door with the same trim, as long as you stay about 1/8 nice below top of door & attach hooks on it for hanging towels, robe…

• Kmdreamer Kmdreamer on Jul 24, 2022

You could get a gold corner trim and put it on the bottom of the door

• Linda Linda on Jul 25, 2022

Better than spackle or other fillers & easier to use than any of the board, metal or plastic solutions, the answer to the problem is Bondo. Yes, Bondo (the automotive product) is easier to use & tougher than steel I hope this helps!