How can I stop dry rot on an old window frame?

by Mumandp
I picked up an old window frame for free this morning as it has dry rot along the top edge. How can I stop the rot from getting worse or can I? Some flaked off while in transit and I don't want to damage it any further. I have included a picture for clarity.
I would absolutely LOVE some sound advice on how to protect it and prevent further decay. I thank You all for Your time, energy, and intellect, and look forward to learning something new and insightful.
Have a beautiful day!!

PS As You can see the rot is all across the top or bottom edge and is quite bad but the window as a whole is so lovely. I can't bring Myself to give up on it w/o at least asking You brilliant HOMETALKERS for Your helpful advice, tips, and solutions.
  6 answers
  • Robyn Garner Robyn Garner on Aug 18, 2017

    You really can't "stop" dry rot - once the wood is rotted, that's it. Are you using the window as a window in your home? Or, is your plan to use it as odd decor in the garden or something? IF you plan to install the window in your home, you will need to remove the rotted wood and replace it with new. If you merely want to put it in the garden you could leave it as is, possibly putting a few pieces of wood to keep it all together. You could alternatively add some metal braces to the wood that's intact. Other thoughts would be to "seal" the rotted parts with Kilz, primer and some oil paint.

    • See 1 previous
    • Robyn Garner Robyn Garner on Aug 19, 2017

      Hi Michelle! I think if your "blocker primer" is similar to Kilz, it would be fine to use that. I hope your planned decor with the window frame comes out fantastic. Have a great weekend yourself!

  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Aug 18, 2017

    If for your home, you must cut out all damaged wood and replace using wood glue a piece to fill the void. Small sections should also be removed and can be made up with Plastic wood compound, sanded when dry and then Primed Undercoated and Top coated.

    If for a Garden Project, I would still do the later, but you might be able to preserve it by using lots of Resin type Glue squeezed into the frame where you have the Rot. Then when Dry use Plastic wood compound and finish as above.

    Good Luck!

    • Mumandp Mumandp on Aug 18, 2017

      Hiya John,

      It is just a decorative frame that I picked up for free this morning.

      I want to thank You from the bottom of My heart for Your advice and thorough instructions on how to go about doing this correctly.

      I will go out now and purchase the Plastic Wood Compound as I already have blocker primer, paint, and sealer in the cupboard.

      I am so thrilled that this is a do-able repair and the frame can be salvaged!!

      Bless You and have an amazing weekend.

      So excited.....


  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Aug 18, 2017

    It's a pleasure.................

  • KatAych KatAych on Aug 18, 2017

    If it's just decorative, you can use wood putty to fill in some of the bigger cracks and gaps. I would suggest painting it with waterproof paint or just waterproof sealant if you don't want to cover it.

  • Mumandp Mumandp on Aug 27, 2017

    Thanks so much for the advise. Sorry it took so ling to reply.......Blessings, Michelle

  • Mumandp Mumandp on Sep 01, 2017

    Hiya Kat,

    Thanks so much, soz it took so long to get back in touch, I used the wood putty and it worked well. Not ready to paint it yet love the rawness of it for now.....

    I am currently redoing My living room much fun using different techniques to breath new life into older worn out pieces!!

    Have a blessed day and I hope You can enjoy some sun today too,


    comment photo