How do I keep the window from ice on the inside of my window? It's -12

by Richland
So cold in Minnesota! -12 icy windows
  11 answers
  • Sharon Sharon on Dec 30, 2017

    Thats condensation from inside your house freezing on the window, so you would have to dehumidify your home, and/or put one of those window films kits over it. You can get a film kit at the Dollar Tree.

    If you have any of those old storm windows that will prevent that also. They can also make storm glass windows for the inside that fit into the windows, it has a fine aluminum edge and they slide up into window. I have these on my huge glass windows in the living room of this old house.

  • 861650 861650 on Dec 30, 2017

    If you decide to buy a dehumidifier, make sure it is made in the USA. Most are made in China and have caused fires. A dehumidifier does increase your electrical bill by 25 percent. However, you can purchase those Dampaid kits (non-electrical) and/or silica gel for your home.

  • Linda Sikut Linda Sikut on Dec 30, 2017

    You don't want to take humidity out of your house in the winter. It will make your house too dry. Please don't get a humidifier for your main house unless you have hot water running all day, every day. You need the humidity in the winter. The problem is partly because it's so cold outside and because it's warm in the house. If you don't have double-glass or storm windows that are tight, this will happen. (Like in the "old days") The plastic storm windows will help some, (They go on the inside of the window.) but the long term solution is to get some kind of storm windows or begin to actually replace windows in your home with newer ones that are double-paned and don't need storms. I live in an area that is extremely cold, especially this year, so I've learned a lot over the years. I hope this helps. Wishing you the best & Happy New Year!

  • Dianacirce70 Dianacirce70 on Dec 30, 2017

    You could try putting plastic on the outside. That's happening because it's warmer inside and outside, so the condensation is freezing. It generally happens on single pane windows

    • Sheryl Gregory Sheryl Gregory on Dec 30, 2017

      Outside, you'll need heavier plastic and lathe (wood) strips to lay over the edges before nailing or screwing onto trim around the window. It has to withstand wind and ice storms.

      Inside, you can use thinner plastic and double sided tape, then shrink the plastic to tighten it using a hair dryer. Look in hardware sections for indoor waterproofing kits. Be sure to measure so you you get the amount you need, & follow printed instructions carefully. Either way, you're going to need to apply each fall & remove to use the Windows in nicer spring and summer weather.

  • V Smith V Smith on Dec 30, 2017

    You do not want to run a dehumidifier in the winter, moisture in the air will help to make you feel warmer. You are getting condensation because the cold outside air and the warm inside air are meeting at the glass. The temperature there is a dew point, and the inside air gives up it's moisture. To change this you need to create a pocket of air between them. It can be a simple as clear plastic film attached to the trim around the window on the inside, or as complex and expensive as a new storm window or a new double glazed window. At this stage of the season, I would clean up the inside of the window and install the film over the trim. Perhaps this summer you could look into a more permanent fix.

  • 2dogal 2dogal on Dec 30, 2017

    Yes - plastic over the windows. It should be on the inside as you are getting ice on the inside. Been there - done that.

  • O.shag O.shag on Jan 01, 2018

    Several winters ago I put plastic over the inside of my bedroom windows because my bed was right next to the window and I was freezing! Then I kept waking up to damp bedding. I thought "Man, I must be drooling a LOT in my sleep!" Discovered the wall by my bed was dripping with condensation.

  • Mogie Mogie on Aug 05, 2023

    Seems like a storm window on the outside would solve the problem.

  • Bianca Bianca on Aug 06, 2023

    Just close it.

  • Get plastic window film to insulate the window. It's available at Walmart.