Tip: Raisins for getting rid of ants

by Melody
Not a question - rather a solution. Every spring I have a problem with ants. When I discovered that t the raisins I was about to put in cookies were old and dry I threw them outside for the birds and squirrels. Hours later my basement floor was full of dead ants. I thought perhaps it was the raisins. A few days later with a fresh bag of raisins I sprinkled some more around and VOILA - more dead ants in the basement. I no longer think it is a coincidence, but perhaps a solution.
  9 answers
  • Jean Herald Jean Herald on May 18, 2017

    The best way I have found to treat ants is to treat outside of your house. They come in many times to look for water. Make sure you check for nests outside near your foundation. I have you a professional to spray but I know that there are products out there for do it yourself ears.

  • Beverley stacey Beverley stacey on May 18, 2017

    Try borax.no chemicals and cheap and it works

    • Gjf7931723 Gjf7931723 on May 19, 2017

      Don't let pets near Borax. It's sweet but deadly to dogs. Causes liver failure.

  • Hillela G. Hillela G. on May 18, 2017

    This is so good to know, I really appreciate you sharing!

  • Huh, great observation and test! Thanks for sharing! Next time I see ants I am going to try!

  • Sue Lilly Sue Lilly on May 19, 2017

    In england we use a gel called Nippon you need to kill queen to distroy the nest.


    Who would have guessed! Will give it a shot next problem! And to think, "I heard it through the grapevine"

  • B. Enne B. Enne on May 19, 2017

    I wonder if it is the type of sulphites in your raisins, because I have seen ants eat raisins, and they did not die. Is it possible that a neighbour sprayed an insecticide outside, and they came in your basement to escape it, but had already been exposed? You've certainly piqued my curiosity...

  • Carol Jean Ferguson Carol Jean Ferguson on May 19, 2017

    Are the raisins harmful to stray or feral cats that might nibble on them? Grapes are toxic to cats so while ridding your home of ants could you be harming another creature?

  • Donna Donna on May 19, 2017

    Grapes and Raisins are toxic to cats and dogs. If one of those types of animals may have access, check to see if what you want to use is toxic to whatever kind of animal is in your area. This is also important for people who have birds or rodents AND cats or dogs. Some of the foods you can feed to birds or rodents are toxic to cats and dogs.