G2 Bottle Cutter For Upcycling and Re-purposing - Product Review

Have you ever used a bottle cutter to upcycle or re-purpose a wine or beer bottle? How did it turn out? What did you make?

q g2 bottle cutter for upcycling and re purposing product review
Well I had never tried it but I was curious so I bought the G2 bottle cutter at my local Hobby Lobby. It wasn't very expensive at around 27 dollars. I took it home excited to give it a try. But to be honest I didn't have great luck with it.

I am not sure if it was the bottle cutter or me. :-) But I didn't get very many smooth breaks.
I tried several different ways to separate the bottles once they were scored but none of them seemed better than any other. I also tried several different bottle types. So I feel like I gave it a good try. After 14 bottles and a lot of broken glass I concluded that I either need more practice or a better bottle cutter.
I call this my bottle carnage.

Anyway, I put my bottle cutter away for now but I am still hoping to someday get those beautiful clean cuts I see other folks achieving on all those youtube videos.

Any advise?
I am still hoping to use some of the glass in other projects so stay tuned there my be some hope for all my broken bottles. :-)

If you would like more upcycling project DIY's or Green Product Reviews you can subscribe to my Youtube Channel here or the Upcycle Design Lab blog here.
Thanks for checking out my video.

Happy Upcycling,

Cindy
  • William William on Jan 15, 2018
    I remember the fad of making glasses out of bottles back in the 70's. All types of bottle cutters were available. They even had infomertials promoting bottle cutters. I use a string wrapped around the bottle. Saturate the string with rubbing alcohol. Light the string and wait till the flames goes out. Then dunk the bottle in cold water. Gets a cleaner cut and just a light sanding with an emery board or garnet sandpaper.

• We actually tried the string method and did not have good luck with it. The bottles would break but, not evenly and a lot of cracks (about the same results you got with the cutter). We considered getting that same cutter but, weren't sure about it. Guess we'll keep looking for a better one. Thank you for sharing.

• Thanks for your comment. Not sure if it was me or the bottle cutter that was the problem. I was able cut pieces that I could use to make fused glass jewelry so it wasn't a total loss. :-)