Help with upcycling waterfall dresser

+7
I submitted this question earlier without a pic. Apparently I did not do a good job of explaining, thinking this pic will help. Had to remove veneer from top of waterfall dresser then painted with chalk paint. A week later the cracks started appearing on the wood that was under the veneer. Any ideas how to fix this?
It looks to me as if putting veneer back on the top is my only solution, which I know nothing about. Thanks in advance for your help
q help with upcycling waterfall dresser
  • GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on Dec 27, 2017
    Hi there I would go back with a caulk based wood putter (they make it lol I promise) it has silicone in it but its easier to work with then straight caulk and it is sandable too. Fill the cracks, sand smooth and then repaint

• Lightfeather Lightfeather on Dec 28, 2017
    I have always used saw dust mixed with wood glue. I've done this with many wood pieces and even wood floors. Take collected saw dust mix with wood glue allow to dry and sand.

• Shoshana Shoshana on Dec 28, 2017
    You could try sanding some parts off to give it an intentional rustic look

• Susan Harris Seeley Susan Harris Seeley on Dec 28, 2017
    You could cover it with a pretty fabric and do the edges with decorative trim and upholstery tacks

• Maf226 Maf226 on Dec 28, 2017
    I have "healed" cracks with Howard's Feed n Wax.If given enough time,wood will lay back down if you saturate it well enough.Home Depot has it.Caution- you will not be able to glue to the surface until the wax has been absorbed by the wood.Your wood is dry,and cracking.Think of hands/hand lotion.This is a permanent solution,but not a fast fix.It will most likely continue to crack until you feed the underlying problem.

• Bonnie Burns Bonnie Burns on Dec 28, 2017
      Not sure what you mean by (being able to glue to the surface). If I use the product is it just a matter of time before the crack will close?

• Maf226 Maf226 on Dec 28, 2017
    As the wood hydrates,the wax is absorbed in.I glob it on,and let it sit for extended periods.I have several pieces going,so I am not in a hurry to finish.I am not aware of any glue that will adhere to wax.The wax absorbs better in the sun,and you can wipe it off.But it would need to be removed from the surface you are trying to glue to.When you see the wax you will better understand.After application and a soak period,you could probably remove the surface wax with lacquer thinner.To close the crack would take a long time.To prevent it from cracking more,not so long.
    I have a beautiful serpentine front verneered desk that had a crack that had lifted probably 3/8 of an inch up,and separated 1/4 inch,and was about 4 inches long.I kept globbing and now it is flat,and looks like a very minor seam split.
    It took a year.I am in Colorado,and our average humidity is 15- 20 percent.It is common for new furniture to crack here.
    Where you are,you should get quicker results,because,if I am not mistaken,you have way more natural humidity???
    The wax is so good,you can save many wood pieces that you would have thought had to be refinished.I have no vested intrest,I have just found it works.Another outstanding product ,along the same ilk, is Kramers Antique Improver.
    .
    It just costs a lot more.....but it is worth it.

• Cynthia H Cynthia H on Dec 29, 2017
    I would strip off the paint, use wood filler and sand smooth. Use a sealer before painting.