How do I find a really good tension rod?

+11
  • Mogie Mogie on Sep 08, 2021

Guess that depends on what your definition of a really good tension rod is. What qualities are you looking for?

• I would look at your local hardware store or a home/container store.

• Your local home improvement store or Amazon should have a variety to choose from.

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on Sep 08, 2021

Try the diy stores, Walmart, Amazon...what exactly are you looking for in a tension rod?

They come in a variety of sizes for you purposes, have rubber tips on each end and can hold different weights. The larger diameter ones will hold up more weight than the smaller thin ones. It all depends on what you want to put on the rod and the width of what you want covered.

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Sep 08, 2021

I have looked at the following places with no success for something that will hold any weight:

Amazon

WalMart

Ollie's

HobbyLobby

Bargain Hunt

Every one I purchased would fall with the weight of one standard shower curtain. I ended up adding adhesive to the ends because there aren't any large spring tension rods any longer, only the kind you twist into place.

• Betsy Betsy on Sep 08, 2021

Hi Terri: What is it you are using it for? If it's heavy curtains, then use one that is fairly thick and use a hook in the centre of the rod, where the curtains come together. You want one that won't flex downwards from the weight of the curtains. You can get good ones at Target or Penny (if they are still open near you), Home Goods or even home improvement stores like Lowes or Home Depot.

Good luck

• Dee Dee on Sep 08, 2021

Lowes, Home Depot Ikea and Amazon have some good ones

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Sep 09, 2021

Hello. I often look to Amazon reviews and Q+A to influence my purchases

• It is best to look at hardware stores in your vicinty. But it really depends on your own preference.

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Sep 09, 2021

Hi, sorry not had any luck with them myself and have returned to Curtain wire and hooks!

• Flipturn Flipturn on Sep 09, 2021

-How large of a tension rod are you looking for?

-How much weight will it be required to hold up?

-Will the weight (curtains?) be stationary or moving?

-What kind of surface are the ends of the rod going up against?

• Oh I know, they always give out at some point, don't they. Really I find it's just trial and error.

• I use tension rods all the time and I've found great ones on Amazon. Make sure you measure your space well and know what weight you'll be supporting. Some are round and some are oblong shaped, which can make a difference based on what you'll be hanging on it. Most important, look at the end pads. You want them to be large. Also check the reviews...they're usually pretty accurate.