How can I refinish a bay window?

Tasha
by Tasha

I have a bay window that my children LOVE to sit in. The window is wood and the wood trim is not a "pretty" color. I have been updating the trim in our home, but painting it white... now I am onto the window. I am not sure how to tackle this, as its so used, I am afraid anything I do will result in peeling or chipping paint.I thought about sanding, priming and painting... but even then I don't know if that will be enough. Would you suggest rolling out a vinyl floor so to speak, on it? Popping off the trim and taking it over the sides? I have thought about cushions, tiles, wallpaper, you name it! Thanks!!!

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com FrugalFamilyTimes.com on Aug 22, 2019

Here's our jean window seat cushion that we used in our daughters window seat. It's a great, rugged material that holds up well. I'd suggest scraping and painting the other sections.

https://www.frugalfamilytimes.com/2017/04/how-to-make-simple-window-seat-cushion.html?m=1

• Sharon Sharon on Aug 22, 2019

I've painted one, if stained wood use a primer that says it prevents stain bleed through, and then I use Kitchen & Bath semi-gloss or Floor & Porch paint that wears better.

I then did an upholstered cushion on bottom, 3 back pillows, and a pleated drape treatmet on top. The fabric was a blue and white delft pattern dhintz upholstry fabric.... real pretty. I had the dining room table and used this a bench for extra family seating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gnJcN1_Xg4

• Joy Elizabeth Joy Elizabeth on Aug 27, 2019

If you clean and prep thoroughly and use an oil based primer, the paint should adhere fine. I love the idea of a cushion on the bottom.

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Feb 02, 2023

You could if Timber. Strip it and stain it, or stick on Contact or vinyl flooring!

• Janice Janice on Feb 02, 2023

I would paint it in white like the trim you've redone in your home, the make or purchase some cushions to fit for comfort which will also protect the day to day weaar and tear on the paint. You could use smalll pieces of Velcro at specific areas of the bay window seat and the cushions to keep the cushions attached to the seat and yet they would be movable if needed for cleaning.

• Mogie Mogie on Feb 12, 2023

Just sand lightly so the paint you apply has something to stick to. Be patient as the paint job should be farily obvious. Many light coats instead of one or two heavy ones.

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on Jul 21, 2023

Sand it, prime with Kilz or Zinsser, then paint. If you choose to have a cushion(s) or side pillows, that would be nice and make this area comfortable.