Asked on Sep 9, 2015

Why would my hydrangeas not bloom?

Debbie/Dragonfly TreasureMarie FosterSeena
+17

For some reason my hydrangeas didn't bloom this year. I didn't do anything different. We had a very hot summer this year. Would that cause this?
    Janet Pizaro

Did you cut them back last year and if so when?

• Marie Foster
    Marie Foster

Yes I believe in early fall

Janet Pizaro

That is why.sorry hydrangeas need to be trimmed after they finish blooming.Accidently you probably cut off the blooms for this season.

• Linda
    Linda

Mine didn't bloom either, now I guess I know why.

• Debbie Williams
    Debbie Williams

i havent cut mine and last year nothing this year two gave me one bloom each go figure

• Carol
    Carol

Depends on what type hydrangea you have as to when it should be cut back...some bloom on old wood, others on new, and the newer varieties like Endless Summer bloom on both. That said, my Endless Summer did not bloom at all last Summer 2014 and this summer (2015) it finally has 1 bloom opening now and I saw 2 tiny new ones forming. I've heard it has to do with the last two severe winters we've had. About 6 wks ago I gave my Endless Summer a bit of fertilizer for acid-loving plants. Perhaps that helped it to bloom?

• Stephanie Rountree
      Stephanie Rountree

@Carol Mine didn't bloom this year either, and I think you're right about the extreme cold winter affecting them. Looks like we're going to have another super cold winter this year as well. I may give them some extra mulch in hopes they will bloom next summer.

• Marie Foster
    Marie Foster

Thank you

• Barbara Null
    Barbara Null

same for mine.. I had blooms 2 years ago, just a few, but none this year. It grew huge, butr no blooms. I did have blooms on my 2 hydrangeas we just put in this spring that were sitting in pots for the past 5 years. go figger. they are different type though.

Janet Pizaro

All hydrangeas regardless of there variety are pruned the same way. Just curious for those that did not bloom Did you perhaps fertilize the plants?

• Marie Foster
    Marie Foster

No fertilizer this year.

• Marie Foster
    Marie Foster

Thank you. I had tons last year . Beautiful plants this year but no flowers this year .

Janet Pizaro

Well it has been a strange season. Im baffled at this point. Better luck next year?I tried everything I could think of.

• Linda
    Linda

Mine did not bloom this year either but I do know why. It was very cold this winter and they good knocked back. I live in NC mountains and the winters matter with Hydrangeas. Depending on where you live, this might answer your question.

• Marie Foster
    Marie Foster

It does thanks. We had a super mild winter. And a very hot summer. May be the answer . Thanks so much.

• Nancy
    Nancy

I am in Michigan and we had a very cold winter. Mine didn't bloom either. First time in about 5 years

• Seena
    Seena

go to a certified Plant Nursery and ask for liquid 'Fish Fertilizer'. It has phosphate in it (a form of phosphorus which is the key nutrient that promotes flowering) Phosphorus itself is too harsh for plants and can do damage. The 'phosphate' in a liquid Fish Fertilizer is milder and ALWAYS, ALWAYS remember that LESS is more when it comes to 'feeding' any plants, indoor & outdoor. Good luck for next year!! :) ALL plant feeding should stop in September as plants are using their energy to go dormant now for the fall/winter. Hope this helps.

• Marie Foster
    Marie Foster

Wow great information . Thanks so much

• Seena
      Seena

@Marie Foster Your very welcome :) I've been in the 'plant' world since the age of 13 :) I'm 57 now and love to help when I can.