Brocante Living
Brocante Living
  • Eugene, OR

Elegant Pantry Shelf

The time had finally come.....after years of dreaming about it we are in a home that had the perfect spot for my open pantry shelf project. YIPPEE! I have been collecting vintage mason jars for several years now for my daughters' weddings, and for my one day (swoon) open pantry shelves. Well ladies & gentlemen, my "one day" has arrived! It was my 26th wedding anniversary gift from my husband, one of my favorite gifts ever)! We needed it to have specific dimensions (8 inches deep 7 ft high and 6 feet wide) because it is in a walk through to the family room (man cave) off of the kitchen, so we hired a finish carpenter friend to do the build & install. See more on my blog http://thepewterrooster.blogspot.com/2015/09/pantry-shelf.html
pantry shelf, closet, diy, kitchen cabinets, kitchen design, organizing, shelving ideas, woodworking projects
He she is, in her unpainted glory.
Dentil style crown molding...I now have a whole new appreciation for painters who paint that style molding!
I used Benjamin Moore Regal Eggshell Classic Black. It has primer built in, thank heavens!
I did two solid coats and it was dry in a day.
Craig looking for studs, they mounted the shelf to the wall, removing part of the base molding so it was flush to the wall. They had to relocate the thermostat to the side of the shelf, my husband was his helper ;)
And here it is....swoon! It actually fit ALL of my glass jars, WOW!
He built it with solid wood and a divide down the middle to support all the weight of the glass jars. He drilled holes all the way up all of the insides, so the shelves would be adjustable, per my request.
Ordered some labels and had myself a fun DIY label making day!
It houses all of my flours, sugars, grains & baking supplies!
Houses ALL of my spices (in alphabetical order, of course) in my vintage mason jar collection! An organizers DREAM :)
All of my oils, syrups & liquids...by category then alphabetized. Feel the love (or OCD, lol).
The hard to find vintage 1/2 gallon sized jars are my favs.
Even had room for my extracts, food coloring and odds & ends.
More odds & ends.
He built the crown to come out 4" so I could use it to house my cookbooks & other storage needs.

To see more: http://chateaudelegance.blogspot.com/2015/09/pantry-shelf.html

• AnnaMarie Carroll

Where did you find a bookcase/shely with such a short depth?

• Brocante Living

@AnnaMarie Carroll We had a finish carpenter friend build it for us and my husband helped him install it. He came out and measure all my jars and I told him exactly what I wanted the dimensions to be and the style.

• Chelise Bray

I love this! Could you tell me the dimensions? Specifically the depth. Thanks

• Catsrule

I am in the process of doing something similar, but bottom half cabinets and top half shelves. This has given me something to think about It is nicer than I imagined it to be. It is nice to see a finished project. Is there a reason why the middle shelves on the left leave more headroom than the other jars have? Would it be practical to decrease the headroom and add a small shelf. Just thinking, for when I make mine.
    • Brocante Living

I have rearranged it since the post and added another shelf. I have adjustable shelves on mine. I am in the process of having another one built that is just for the regular sized mason jars that hold all of my spices. It will be only 5" deep and too the ceiling. Our home is small and has very little cabinet space and no pantry. So every bit of storage helps!

• KatAych

Nothing warms my heart more than efficient organization! Great job - it looks wonderful!
  • Marcia

Love the look, but black shelving will have you dusting this thing daily. Most importantly, a lot of those oils will go rancid if you leave them in clear containers exposed to light and a lot of the spices will lose potency if exposed to light. You may want to rethink spray painting the outsides of those containers so you're not throwing away your money on bad oils and spices!

• Brocante Living

The lighting in the room is very low. I have always kept everything in clear glass. Have never had anything go bad. We use our oils very quickly. Yes I do have to dust often. I would rather see dust and remove it, as I am allergic to it, than have a color that does not show dust and let it build to an unhealthy level, but look good. Just me. My home my preference.