How to Build a Firepit - DIY Design

$80

You can build a great firepit for all to enjoy in less than 30 minutes and for under $80!
how to build a firepit, outdoor living, patio
It's easy to build a firepit in just minutes with some pavers and a fire bowl. In this case, it literally took longer to go pick up the supplies than it did to actually put it all together. Best of all, it's not a permanent fixture, so you can move it around if you need to.
If you are building this firepit on grass, you will want to be sure to dig out for the space. In this case, the fire pit was built right on top of the concrete patio by stacking pavers in a circle. Many people has asked if the heat from the fire could crack the concrete. We have not had any problems at all with this one since we are using a firebowl and stacked it high enough off the ground. The pavers are not adhered together so it still lets air breathe through the stones.
For a 35" firebowl as we used in this project, we needed 48 pavers and stacked them 4 layers high.
Easy to move if needed, simple and inexpensive!
Once you stack your pavers, drop in the firebowl, add some spark and you're ready to go! I recommend of course building this in an open area so there are no trees directly above the fire. All of our supplies came from Lowe's and even after 3 years, the firepit is still holding up beautifully!
Ellora at Creatively Southern

• Lana

Did you have to drill holes at the bottom so rain drains?

• Jennie Lee

It wouldn't be too hard to make a cylindrical cover that could be put over it when not in use, just like you'd do for a grill.

• Doc

As metal is not easy to make nicely into a cap, I would recommend adding drain holes for those times when it rains unexpectedly. Rust will always win, and the breathing from beneath - slight - will feed the fire. Everything in moderation here. You should also plan ahead for keeping embers that fall thru at bay, and for occasional kleaning out of the debris. The block should always breathe and the height idea is valid to protect the slab from heat. Course, on dirt ...

• Connie wedding

Looks great!! I can picture a bunch of Adirondack chairs set around the fire with family and their long forks with marshmallows and hotdogs....ahhhh....the memories of summer. :)

• Lori Lowery Gregory

Our firepit had drain holes in the bottom when we purchased it!

• Lori Frerichs Anne Smith

Where do you buy the insert for the fireplace.

• Ruth

his copy states ALL the supplies came from Lowes

• Amy Arnsparger

Would it be alright to use sand in the bottom verses using the metal disk?
  • Carrie

What about putting it on the back wooden deck?
  • Don28677844

How much total cost?
    • Kathy Rheaume

Certainly more than 80$, they did not let us know the cost of the bricks!
    • Kathy Rheaume

Certainly more than $80, they did no include the cost of the bricks!

• Vyvyan Hansen Ross

I would like to know the size of the pavers..WxHxL..cost is figured by size. But I also think $80.00 is off
    • Karen

This is my question also. There is no reference to the size of the pavers used.

• Hub28709612

Can a "propane gas fired" fire place unit work in this project? If so, what modifications are ended? What type outdoor gas unit do you suggest?
  • Gle17465133

...so where did you get the black center "bowl" or fire pit?
  • Tanzy Marie Tucker

Do you put something on the bottom
  • Greg Pickerd

What type of pavers are they? Can’t find them on Lowes site. Do you know what style they call them

• Greg Pickerd

• Raquelmaciel1

What if you have grass and dirt underneath? What can I use thats easy to cover the dirt circle below the fire bowl?

• Teresa Norman

I've not done it yet I am going to do this and put paveing sand because it hardens wen wet. U may want to dig a trench around the pit and put stone around the base put sand in the cracks. Make them flush with the ground u don't want to trip on them and fall into the fireplace. I will put sand in the pit and won't be getting the fire bowl just put the fire on the ground. If you have kids I would use playbox sand. Paveing sand said don't let kid play with it. Then u could cinderblocks in side put a wire rack on and cook or put hickory chips on the coles put a top on plywood or cardboard pull out a stone at the bottom and u will have a smoker this is on low heat

Raise your rack. I think about 160% but Google it My husband does this part I'm not sure.

• Deanne Tranter Atwood

I would just use a bit of pea gravel. We actually got ours free from a county road paving project. We used some of the left over gravel that they sweep off the road once the tar is played.

It has a little tar residue on the gravel but hey, nobody is going to see it if it is at the bottom of the fire pit. 😀

• Charitie Drye

Where did you find the fire bowl? Could you update and add a buy list of your materials?

• Wanda

We live in a rainy area. What do we do when fire bowl becomes full of water?

• Deanne Tranter Atwood

I would drill a hole in the bottom of the bowl. It the bricks are not cemented together the water will just drain normally.

• Linda Abate

Love your fire pit. Definitely is an easy enough project. I like that the actual wood container has a cover to keep embers from flying out. GREAT JOB.
  • Carrie B

Great idea!

Is there anything under the bowl,keeping it off the ground and even with the bricks?

I really want to try this😀

• Maurtura

I put about 6 imches of playsamd in the bottom. Works great. Gives extra warmth as well