Don't Be Afraid of Removing Veneer

Great bones, but veneer needed to go.
Peeling veneer.
Not an easy task, but if done right veneer peels right off. The key is patience.
I have always thought the wood under veneer is beautiful.
Finished. Knobs from Hobby Lobby at half price.
So pleased with how it turned out.

3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows
30 Great Ideas For Every Pet Owner!
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
Use Ribbon To Decorate For Christmas With These Last Minute Ideas!
Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
Renee Sanofsky

• Janice
    Janice

WHAT DID YOU USE TO PEEL OFF THE VENEER, I WAS USING A FLAT SCREWDRIVER, BUT I THINK I NEED A DIFFERENT TOOL

• Mcgypsy9
      Mcgypsy9

You can also use a heat gun which works very well in removing the veneer. The heat releases the glue that was used to attach the veneer. You can then use a “plastic” scraper to help with removal and it doesn’t damage like a metal one does. Heat guns are very cheap. It takes patience!

• Sherrie
    Sherrie

Can you show us the tool you use please? Many tools for scraping paint can be found. I have a few but none are multi sided. Thank you so much!

• Nita
    Nita

The top of a buffet had veneer, but when they removed it it’s all big chucks of wood are out. I don’t know if I can repair it or have to replace the top. Can you fix the bad top?

• Hi there. For semi deep chunks, I’ve used a home made wood filler made with white/wood glue and sawdust from real wood mixed together to form a dough like substance. You kind of keep adding glue until it’s like a play doh type material. I’ve never measured any ratios and just keep adding glue until the “filler” seems to be pliable. You fill the gouge(s) with it and keep pressing it in until it is a little higher then the rest of your surface. Once it’s completely dry, you sand it down to the level of the rest of the surface. I’ve also used joint compound to resurface a badly damaged wood veneer top. I would not use this technique without trying it on a piece of scrap wood to see if it would work with your paint material) Using a spackle tool, smooth it all over top. After it dries completely, sand it down until you have a uniform leveled surface. Be sure to wear eye and nose protection as this is an intensely dusty dealio. This only worked for a painted top, not a stained top. Disclaimer: I paint/ distress furniture as a hobby and I do not seal my pieces. Always practice on some scrap wood to be sure these techniques work for you with your paint or finishes.

• Mcgypsy9
    Mcgypsy9

I love it! What stain did you use? I’ve seen this stained and -winter and both are gorgeous!

• April Bower
    April Bower

I have an old singer of my grandma's and I'm assuming that is Veneer I've been worried on how to finish this since pieces are coming up. Is this veneer?