GrandmasHouseDIY
GrandmasHouseDIY
  • Menahga, MN

How I Built All of My Kitchen Cabinets!

$500
Advanced

The kitchen cabinets turned into my own little project, it was something I was equally stressed and terrified about and, don’t get me wrong, they are NOT perfect, but I’m very happy with them. The main cabinet boxes themselves I built out of 2x4s and 3 inch long screws, they would not be going anywhere. I ended up with a enormous amount of 1×4 scrap leftover from my floor and trim so I used the scrap to cover the bottom of all of the cabinets and build all of the shelves. (Of course normally I would have just used plywood!)

how i built all of our kitchen cabinets, closet, diy, how to, kitchen cabinets, kitchen design

I covered all of the 2x4s in 1x4s and/or bead board and moved on to paint!

Everyone questioned my choice to build my kitchen cabinets.

I would normally have leaned to buying something used but I already knew that trying to make something premade work here would probably be far more work than just building the cabinets. On top of all of that, I had my heart set on using three old windows for cabinet doors.

I started all of my upper cabinets one board at a time screwed into the ceiling and then I worked down (or out) from there.

It was VERY simple. I just built the frame as I went, used long screws, always made sure I was in studs or ceiling rafters and leveled ever single boards.

Like with the majority of the house I did it alone so there was no "building the cabinet" and then putting it up on the wall.

Like with everything if I could figure out a way to do it alone (which I had little choice in the matter) that's how I did it.

I am SO proud that I built my entire kitchen by myself! A perk of this though meant I didn't actually build cabinet boxes and saved myself a TON of material. Where there was already a wall I didn't see the need to add more wood to it lol

• 2x4s
  • 1x4s
  • Beadboard Plywood

GrandmasHouseDIY

• Cassandra

Just amazing work! How did you install the drawers and cabinet fronts? Did you make those as well?

• GrandmasHouseDIY

Yep I did all of it. The drawers are basically just boxes sitting on a shelf - very basic. The upper doors are old windows, the lower doors are just plywood that I painted :)

• Cassandra

How did you create the pullout drawers?

• Pat Gregor

So looking at your pictures, what height did you make your base cabinets? Also what did you use for your glass doors? This gives me lots of ideas but not details. Sorry anal compulsive

• GrandmasHouseDIY

Hi Pat, the doors are windows that were on one of my old sheds. The height of the base cabinets are standard at 34 (not including the counter top). Though my kitchen sink did end up higher then that which I actually like that its high. Thanks!

• Chichi Chinnici

Awesome job i am definitely going to give this a try. We have an older home with smelly particle board cabinets and drawers. I plan to use an old dresser for an island with a piece of butcher block i rescued and that will be our drawer storage. My wall and counter cabinets will be made from your instructions. I have some old windows as well as some vintage cabinet doors i want to use so i will adjust openings accordingly. Excited and can hardly wait to begin this project. I will take pics and hopefully end up with sturdy and pretty cabinets. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
    • GrandmasHouseDIY

Oh that's awesome, god speed and good luck!! It was time consuming but really not that hard, use long screws, make sure you always hit studs and make sure and have a level handy as you go! Would love to see after pics!!

• Carol Cole

WOW is right, I think it is great when a woman can step up and show that she is capable of doing things on her own. It is wonderful. You are a NUMBER 1 carpenter.