How I Built All of My Kitchen Cabinets!

3 materials
$500
Advanced

The kitchen cabinets turned into my own little project, it was something I was equally stressed and terrified about and, don’t get me wrong, they are NOT perfect, but I’m very happy with them. The main cabinet boxes themselves I built out of 2x4s and 3 inch long screws, they would not be going anywhere. I ended up with a enormous amount of 1×4 scrap leftover from my floor and trim so I used the scrap to cover the bottom of all of the cabinets and build all of the shelves. (Of course normally I would have just used plywood!)

I covered all of the 2x4s in 1x4s and/or bead board and moved on to paint!

Everyone questioned my choice to build my kitchen cabinets.

I would normally have leaned to buying something used but I already knew that trying to make something premade work here would probably be far more work than just building the cabinets. On top of all of that, I had my heart set on using three old windows for cabinet doors.

I started all of my upper cabinets one board at a time screwed into the ceiling and then I worked down (or out) from there.

It was VERY simple. I just built the frame as I went, used long screws, always made sure I was in studs or ceiling rafters and leveled ever single boards.

Like with the majority of the house I did it alone so there was no "building the cabinet" and then putting it up on the wall.

Like with everything if I could figure out a way to do it alone (which I had little choice in the matter) that's how I did it.

I am SO proud that I built my entire kitchen by myself! A perk of this though meant I didn't actually build cabinet boxes and saved myself a TON of material. Where there was already a wall I didn't see the need to add more wood to it lol

• 2x4s
  • 1x4s
  • Beadboard Plywood
GrandmasHouseDIY

Questions on this post

Your question...
3 of 6 questions

Comments

2 of 78 comments
Next