The Horror Story of My Oak Counter Tops and How I Fixed Them!

$100

It seemed the perfect choice for my little country kitchen. I made my counter tops out of oak from out in my barn knowing FULL WELL that they would probably do EXACTLY what they did. I love how trolls online will still attempt to explain to me why this happened lol as if I didn't know exactly that this was going to happen.

the horror story of our oak counter tops and how i fixed them, countertops, home improvement, kitchen design, woodworking projects

In the end, my counter tops were created by me when I had absolutely no budget but a pile of oak in my barn. So I made them knowing full well that this was what was going to happen. So, then I fixed them and this is how I fixed them.

The first few boards beside the sink were all right so I added LOTS more nails to them and then, oh so carefully, started pulling up the rest of the tops. I have only incredible things to say about wood glue, the majority of the counter top came up in huge chunks, held together really well by nothing but the glue I put between the boards.

I was not shy with the glue or the nails this time and did a certain amount of pounding them in, mostly to make myself feel better, pounding on things is always good for making me feel better! With the counter tops all together again (like they were the first time) I went around with my glue and filled in any lingering gaps.

After letting them dry over night I tackled them with the my sander the next morning. I sanded them really well, starting with medium grit sand paper and then moving on to fine grit until I, once again, had a lovely smooth surface. Back to lovely again!

• Glue
  • Nails

GrandmasHouseDIY

• Rena Noele

Have you considered adding a "breadboard" edge to the front of the counter top? It would blend right in and look intentional. Since my son-in-law introduced me to the Kreg fastening system, I'm fixing everything now.

• GrandmasHouseDIY

@Rena Noele Yes we most certainly have! Its definitely in the works when we fight the right wood/edging we want!

• Pam Gardner

Has the moisture from the dishwasher affected the counter? They emit quite a bit of heat and moisture.

• GrandmasHouseDIY

@Pam Gardner Strangely enough, the boards across the top of the dishwasher I didn't have to move or touch at all. I thought that that would have been the worst spot but it actually was the one main place where everything remained in good shape.

• RJ

What did you use for your backsplash & where did you get it? I love it!

• GrandmasHouseDIY

@RJ Hi there, I'm sorry I thought I had replied to you! Goodness, I apologize for my late answer. We bought the backsplash off of Amazon here's the link: http://amzn.com/B00KL337JW It comes in 4x2 foot sheets and it cuts with just a regular pair of scissors and I used liquid nails to glue it up. The seams can be a little tricky but the price was so cheap compared to other things I looked at! So far, we've been really happy with it and it just wipes off.