How to Make Great Outdoor Arrangements for Christmas

Making your own gorgeous outdoor arrangements doesn't have to be overwhelming. I've broken it down to a few steps so you can create your own florist quality arrangement this year. urns
how to make great outdoor arrangements for christmas, christmas decorations, container gardening, gardening, how to, seasonal holiday decor
Bright, colourful and full of life - that's my theme for the outdoor decor this Christmas. So I chose red tartan ribbon, white hydrangea blooms and red balls.
Start by gathering together 4 -5 different kinds of greens. Choose stiff needled pine, spruce and boxwood for stability. Then add weeping cypress, cedar and long needled pine for graceful draping. You can buy them at most garden centres. But head out to the garden and see what you have - you'll be surprised.
Start with a container filled with potting soil. I've used other methods - foam, oasis, sand, even bunched up newspaper. This works best for me. Add drama with large twigs like these birch pieces. Or you can add dogwood twigs. Either way, secure them into a pot of soil and pack down the earth around them.
Create a base of greens around the top of the container using draping items like this long needled pine.
Then just start filling in the container. Tuck in a variety of greens for drama and colour. The more variety you have, the more interesting you container will be in the end.
You'll also want some natural elements like these hydrangea blooms. I spray painted them white and then added glitter while the paint was still wet. I did the same with some twigs I cut from an overgrown beauty bush - painted them red and sprinkled with glitter. Tuck these into your arrangement.
Add a bow - make your own or buy one. Add some drama with larger decor pieces like these ornament balls. You can add stars, nests, birdhouses.....it's your arrangement, so you decide what looks best.
Work with odd numbers for the accent pieces - threes, fives, etc. It just looks more natural. Once you're happy with the fullness, add some water. This will help the soil pack down and make it faster to freeze.
Heather (New House New Home)

• Lisa Cloutier Brown

I just made mine yesterday. I didn't think about watering but it is raining today. Is that sufficient? How much water do they need?

• @Lisa Cloutier Brown If it rains all day, that should be enough to hold them. It's been so warm here, my normally frozen urns are still needing watering.

• Ruth Richardson

I'm glad to see the addition of water. I did this for the first time last year and the evergreens stayed fresh, green and pliable until spring. In fact, I picked that tip up on Hometalk from a North Carolina blogger.

• Nancy Watson

So beautiful! thank you for the clear instruction. Very talented & kind of you to share.