The Hometalk Team
The Hometalk Team
  • New York, NY

What Are The Top Ways To Clean A Dirty Stovetop?

Raise your hand if you want a sparkling clean stovetop that magically makes spills and stains disappear before the holidays. Yeah, us too! While we wait for that to be invented, got any stovetop cleaning tips to share with your fellow Hometalkers, as we cook up a storm this week?
Join the community discussion; tell us what kind of stovetop you have and how you keep it clean in the comments.
top ways to clean a dirty stovetop, appliances, cleaning tips, kitchen design

• Phyllis Ittas

My question is how to get the streaks and finger prints off the stainless appliances. I wipen clean with just about evey thing to no avail !!! PLEASE HELP !!

• Joan A

@Phyllis Ittas Windex, is the best

• Use Lemon oil furniture polish. It's the only thing I have found that prevents finger prints on stainless steel appliances...and it smells nice.

• Shonda Thornhill

I grabbed a clorox wipe a few days ago to get a nasty mess off the dishwasher and it dried streak free. That was a pleasant surprise.

• Barbara

@Phyllis Ittas For stainless, nothing works better than WD-40! Amazing!! We use it on our Viking appliances. I got this tip from the salesperson we bought the appliances from.

• Rhonda Gregg

@Phyllis Ittas Apply a little olive oil and buff. Works like a charm.

• Pat

Stainless steel spray or the wipes work like a charm.

• Maria C

WD40

• Terri Loveland

The oil is the cheapest, lest toxic and works great!

• Colleenclarke4

@Phyllis Ittas use WD40 and clean with even strokes not circular

• Green Cleaning Coach

For a quick clean I use a blue microfiber cloth. If you've got some real problem spots - use shadazzle to remove oxidation then a light coat of orange oil. No more streaks,smears or fingerprints.

• Henry Denson

@Phyllis Ittas GO to automotive store and get invisible glass in the spray can it works wonders on stainless,glass, faucets and more.

• Kathy Kopac

@Phyllis Ittas I use a micro cloth with just water rung out very dry and it removes the streaks and fingerprints

• Robin Lueddeke

I use windex on my stove top after I clean it. It makes it absolutely streak free!

• Grandma jean

Buy Zap Cloths - Zezo-Fiber - online. Amazon.com has them. You just wet them, ring them out and go to town cleaning. I use them on our stainless steel topped table, refrig, dishwasher and farm sink. I am 64 yo and have tried many products and every potion that I can find online and Zaps are the best. You can clean anything with them. I even used one to mop our wood floors. Throw them in the washer when dirty, hang to dry and their ready again. Love them!

• Kathy

@Grandma jean Also the water wonder cloth works the same. Wet, Wring & Wipe. No streaks, Really shines every surface! Love ,mine!

• Penny

@Phyllis Ittas i make a home made glass cleaner of 2 parts rubbing alcohol, and1 part water....works great!

• Connie Winter

Try lemon oil on a soft cloth. You don't need very much, just wipe it on then buff to a shine. The bonus is that it smells nice.

• Bonnie

@Henry Denson I LOVE that stuff. Never without it.

• Shirleyj

Wipe down with white vinegar and then olive oil and buff.....

• Barbie

microfiber towel leaves no streaks

• Liz Kennedy

I use Pledge furniture polish. Shines up the stainless steel and I get no fingerprints, also cuts right through any grease stains on it.

• Janice

@Phyllis Ittas I have tried Every cleaner out there...and found out that Germ-X, hand sanitizer works miracles....Rub some on with a soft microfiber cloth....and use another one to shine it up...no streaks.....or fingerprints....and stays so clean for a long long time....>>Love this method. Works the same on my Black Refrigerator......never saw it look so good.

• Angel

@Phyllis Ittas Have you tried using windex and a clean terry cloth towel?

• Carol Harris

@Phyllis Ittas one of my friends cleans houses for a living and she said most of her clients have stainless steel appliances, and she has found a product made by J and J. Its Pledge Orange, you can use it on almost everything. I've tried it on my leather chair, works great.

• Ramona

After the regular cleaning I use alcohol. Makes it sparkle.

• Kathy Parisian

How do you get boilover stains off glass stovetops? The cleaner that's s'posed to do it, doesn't. :)

• MaryAnn

The easiest way is to get a straight edge razor and scrape the stove top. Once the biggest mess has been cleaned up wash with soapy water. Once that is cleaned up get an empty spray bottle and fill it with vinegar. Spray your stove top with it and wipe off. The vinegar leaves no greasy streaks and your surface looks great.

• Connie Skoruppa

This is how I clean my glass top. Bought a scraper that uses single edge razor blades and scrape off heavy boil over. Then I spray with Perfect Glass (block bottle from Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart) and wipe with paper towels. Perfect Glass cuts grease and doesn't leave streaks. It also works great on granite and Corian countertops.

• Connie Skoruppa

I'd guess they carry it at most groceries too.

, Hopes Perfect Glass
  • Phyllis Ittas

Wont WD40 stay greasy on the stainless applianses ???

• Barbara

@Phyllis Ittas you rub it on and thenbuff with a clean, soft cloth. Try it on a small appliance first to prove it to yourself. No stainless cleaner can take off all of the fingerprints like WD40!

• Lee-Jerry France

@Barbara but the smell is there for a long time. i wouldn't want my house smelling like that

• Barbara

@Lee-Jerry France Not true. The only smell is when you first put it on your cloth (I use an old sock). Have you ever checked out all of the wonderful uses for WD40? But using it on stainless is my absolute favorite!

• Sheila B

How do I keep my Black stove top clean??? Everything show up on it.

• Jeanna Barr Gordon

Have you ever tried Tub 'n Tile by Melalueca? It's not only amazing in the shower but it a wonderful cleaner for jobs like this

• Jeanna Barr Gordon

And it contains no chemicals or ammonia

• Jewell Moore LaCour

@Sheila B Use the Glass cooktop cleaner and polish after you clean it. Black shows everything so just have to clean more often, Clorox wipes will clean stove top, but still have to polish out streaks with glass cooktop cleaner.

• Glenda

@Sheila B I had soapstone counters that I used mineral oil on and a black and stainless steel stove. I would clean the stove top with a mild cleaner, then put the mineral oil on the black top to make is shine and it looked fabulous! Just don't put it on the grill as it will burn and smoke.

• Susan Dye

@Sheila B I have the same problem and have found that using a little Pledge on your dust rag leaves no streaks and puts a nice shine on the stove top. I can usually get by with just wiping up with my sponge a few times before having to bring out the Pledge again.

• Kathryn Russell

@Sheila B Clean any grease etc. with a soapy sponge then let dry then follow up with window cleaner. Wipe off the cleaner and buff with a good quality micro fiber cloth. Nice and shiny with no streaks. Make sure you wash the cloth regularly.

• Mike

A microfiber cloth. First soapy and then just water and wring it very dry. Any stubborn spots will come off with those white Mr. Clean sponges that do not scratch. Everything else goes into the dishwasher regularly.

• Susan Cryor

I want to know too!

• Missbev

@Sheila B Using a cleaning spray of your choice, spray stove top and wipe with a micro fiber cloth only. This keeps smears away :)

• Jeani Miller Miner

@Sheila B I hated my black cook top. After 15 years I finally replaced it. No matter what I used, it never looked clean.

• B

@Sheila B Sheila, what ever you do don't use EZOff and let it sit. It will stain your black top like my stove. I've used warm soap and water and scrub with a plastic scrubber. Then I polish it of with Stainless steel oil.

• Linda

@Sheila B After wiping the grease off with a warm dish cloth, I use regular rubbing alcohol !! Make sure your burners are cooled down of course but I found that alcohol on a soft dry cloth will not only remove any residue but it will shine, shine, shine, all of my black appliances. I use it on my refrigerator as well, even gets the water stains off the ice dispenser tray.

• Mindy

@Sheila B I recently watched an episode of Cooks Country. In the segment where they compare different cooking utensils and products, Method general purpose cleaner (purple liquid) was compared to other cleaners on the market and it won everyone's highest praise. I have been using it ever since and I absolutely love using it on my black stove. It is better if you use a clean wet cloth and let it dry naturally. Method is also eco friendly.

• Kathy Friston Collier

Ammonia based cleaners work the best on glass and enameled steel. Hot hot water mixed with the ammonia and elbow grease. Scrub,scrub, scrub.

• Mabeline

I have an old white enamel okeefe and merritt with burn stains. Any suggestion to removing those?

• The Hometalk Team

@Mabeline have you tried Arm and Hammer Washing Soda? Below @Stephania Potter mentions that she uses to loosen burned food from stainless steel pots.

• Mabeline

I will try this as I have washing soda on hand. Thanks

• Linda Ward

BARKEEPERS FRIEND

• Cherie

@Linda Ward I use Barkeepers Friend on everything!!! Love this stuff!!! Follow directions as it can burn.

• Spo2322837

Best way to clean gas stovetop

• Drgoodie

I have a black Sears Kenmore gas cooktop. Immediately it developed water spots that nothing will erase. I have tried everything I can think of - long vinegar soaks, Dawn, Barkeepers Friend, stainless steel cleaner. They seem to be forever baked into the surface. Has anyone solved this problem or have a suggestion? For routine cleaning I sponge on Dawn soapy water and let it set for a few minutes. I sponge it off, rinsing the sponge after every swipe. I then dry it with a cloth or paper towels. I polish it with microfiber cloth. It can take 20 minutes to get it grease-free and streak-free. I will never own black appliances again. A photo of three of the water spots is attached.

• Betty Bradley

i boil a cup of water in my tea kettle. Grab a bunch of my used but still very useable paper towels. Then i pour boiling water over my stove top, and wipe up the water with my paper towels. This method instantly lifts up any hardened food spills. Its quick, easy, and sanitizes too.

• Sarahlu

easy off.