DIY Shelf From Faux Vintage Books

$2

Hello to all vintage book lovers! Today we are going to make a unique piece of furniture, a wall shelf from 3 old books! Bonus: we are NOT going to harm any treasured vintage books ...
We will print out vintage book covers and glue them onto these books. I will include these vintage book covers and spines at the end for you to download!
Library book sales or thrift stores are great places to find old books. You can even use 3 of the same books, since we will turn them into faux vintage books later!
Mark the 3 books using the piece of 1x4, cut the pages with a box cutter or Xacto knife so the wood fits inside the cavity.
Brush the wood with glue or modpodge, on both sides. Close the books carefully.
Print and glue on the printable vintage covers: Wizard of OZ, Alice in Wonderland, and Grimms Fairy Tales, my favorites!
We made the corbels from 2x8 wood. Template for you to download as well!
Screw the shelf to the corbel, attch hangers at the back, and we have a super sturdy and unique ledge shelf!
To see more details of each step, such as the best kind of hangers to use, and to download the vintage book covers, visit the link below!

APieceofRainbow

• Linda

How do you keep the back cover of the middle book from flopping open when you hang the shelf?

• Edie Zsuzsics

Could you also use books for the brackets?

• Joanie

I was thinkin' the EXACT SAME thing. I'm goin' to try this with ALL books......

• Sharon Barbagallo

Couldnt you just glue the printable spines onto the front of just a wood shelf and then paint the top of the shelf coordinating colors of the books. Seal it and all done :) I may try that so I dont have to cut any books. This is a fabulous idea! Thank you for shariiing it!

• Dee

I am nearly finished making an old book into a secret storage box. It's a huge task to cut out all those pages w/ an exacto knife!! It took me several hours and some achey fingers. BUT, repurposing a wonderful old book seems worth it in the end.

• Ida9464

I love books so I have mixed emotions. On one hand, I hate to see them not being read but instead being altered, but on the other hand it warms my heart to see them repurposed rather than dumped or burned. I think you have honored them, and this is clever and creative! Well done!

• Carla

Clever!