#LazyGirlDIY Almost Free Art Using Found Items

$5

When you're a broke you get real creative when you need some bling on your walls. To see more DIY projects and house-flipping ideas, visit my blog, The Bachelorette Pad Flip. https://bachelorettepadflip.wordpress.com/
Finally found a use for my scrap lumber!
In my house flip I installed shelving in a closet to create a pantry. The boards I purchased were just slightly too long for the closet, so I had these odd sized scraps leftover. They stayed in my garage forever because I had no clue what to do with them. Then a idea came to me!
Choose any color you like.
Choose any color you like.
The primary color in my guest room was yellow, so I painted the edges and one side of the boards yellow. I didn't bother painting the backside since nobody was going to see it.
Taping makes sense in the next step.
Taping makes sense in the next step.
After the paint dried, I used painter's tape to protect the edges of the boards. I had already painted the edges yellow, and I didn't want them messed up in the next step.
I raided the kitchen for the next step!
I raided the kitchen for the next step!
For the next step, I used some leftover paper doilies and purchased a cheap extra pack. I cut them in different sizes. I made sure that they were all varied in sizes.
Vary the pattern on the boards.
Vary the pattern on the boards.
Once I had them cut, I randomly taped them to the boards. I made sure not to replicate the pattern on each board. Using basic scotch tape, I rolled the tape and taped down each piece on the board. NOTE: It's important not to put the tape in the "hole" area because it will mess up the painting in the next step.
Ta-Da! #LazyGirlDIY art!
Ta-Da! #LazyGirlDIY art!
After the doilies are taped, use some white spray paint and paint over the entire wood (doilies and all). Once the paint is dry, carefully remove the doilies. The final product turned out great! I added some picture hangers to the back of each board and hung them in my retro-inspired guest room.
The Bachelorette Pad Flip

• Gail Donahue

The color is reversed???

• CathyMiller

These are so pretty! I don't have wood, but do have some blank canvas's. Think those would work the same? What kind of paint did you use? Thanks for sharing!

• Zebbie Hardy

CathyMiller you could always use canvas paint each of them the colors you want then just modge podge them on.

• DEBI GOUGE

WONDERFUL idea! Just one note...paint the backs if the wood is unfinished...heat in your home will cause the boards to warp if they are not completely sealed. I teach painting and I tell students this all the time because it WILL HAPPEN

• Linda

Love it! I am awful at stenciling, and will use this idea to lightly spray background to signs I am making. Thank you for sharing