8 Things You Need to Know Before Putting a FARMSINK in Your Kitchen!

We just had a farmsink put into our kitchen and I am absolutely obsessed!!!! It is the prettiest, deepest, hugest thing ever and I couldn't be happier with it! There were definitely some things that we didn't think of before installing our sink, so I thought I'd share with you a few tips so you have all of the information up front!
I researched a ton of sinks and this particular one got great reviews and wasn't ridiculously priced. Come on over to the post (the link is at the bottom) to see which model we chose. We purchased it online and it is just gorgeous. Let's take a look at some things you should know when installing a farmsink!
1. Farmsinks are huge... and HEAVY! I could barley move this thing with another adult. You also can visit the post to find out what you should know about having supports built in.
2. Most Farmsink installs will require you to remove your countertops This is what our cabinets and countertop looked like before we installed the farmsink. Our stainless steel sink went over our countertops and we wanted the farmsink to be under-mounted. I've seen a few over-mount, but the majority go UNDER your countertops. This meant our countertop had to be removed and gotten rid of.
3. You could be sinkless for days! You might have to wash your dishes in the bathtub! Simple things like making coffee are much more difficult. It is so worth it, though.
4. More than likely, the front of your cabinets will have to be reworked and repainted. Farmsinks are super deep and the apron front needs a lot of depth. This will require someone reworking of your cabinet fronts. Come on over to see what we ended up doing to re-work ours.
5. You will probably have to have your cabinet doors cut down or replaced. I knew that we would lose the sink drawer we had, but I really didn't want to have to purchase 2 new cabinet doors and then paint them. So I just had someone trim down the cabinet doors under the sink.
6. Apparently, having the sink level really matters! Since the sink sits under the countertops and the countertops are one long piece, the sink has to be perfectly level or there will be a gap on one side. The carpenter working on this project had to mess with this for a while. There were shims and cuts and a lot of adjusting going on. Again, leave that stuff to the professionals. It was way more detailed that I had ever anticipated.
7. You may lose a drain and your plumbing will have to be changed. Our old sink was the typical 2 sided stainless steel sink with the divider in the middle and one hole for disposal, one hole for rinsing. Well, our new farmsink only has one hole, so the plumbing had to be changed around a bit. The side the disposal was on had to be changed also. So if you go from a 2 holed sink to a 1 holed sink like we did.... plumbing will need changed. Who woulda thunk it??? I certainly had no idea! A total aside, but you have to come to the blog to see the countertops we chose, too!
8. You will have to do some sanding and painting. And here is how it looks after I fixed all of the cut cabinets and the painted the new trim pieces. In retrospect, we should have done this before we recently repainted our cabinets gray. You can read about that project on the blog.
In the end, it is totally worth it! We use our sinks for all sorts of things. And the sink has proved to be the perfect bathtub for our new puppy Cooper as well. The whole family approves!

Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
12 Christmas Home Tours You're SO Going To Fall For
Jennifer Allwood

• Nita Harrison
    Nita Harrison

Did you reuse or put in a new disposal? Also, is this an enjoyable sink or do you have to adjust to it? Been thinking on one myself.

• Suzette
      Suzette

I had a farm sink but it was a double which I prefer. It was bought at Ikeda and it was quite reasonably priced. I loved it but found that it did get scratched,. Fortunately, this was easily remedied wiggle Barker person cleanser.

• Jmd2407335
    Jmd2407335

Thank you for the encouragement. I am not the type person to rock the boat. I did go back in the store and request to see the manager but she wasn't in. I was given her card and told to call back but have not been able to get my nerve up quite yet. I agree with you completely, too much money spent not to be happy!

• Oana
    Oana

love the farm sink!