Shirley
Shirley
  • Winter Haven, FL

How We Made Stepping Stone Walkway From Ice Cream Buckets.

We had already purchased molds from Lowe`s that made this pattern. We are using this pattern that will come off the back porch and out to our sitting area with burn pit and adding two hammock chairs.
We did not want everything to be matched, so we had to figure what kind of pattern we wanted.
My hubby is building A bigger shop, that is why everything is in the yard. In the process of cleaning out the old shed we had A lot of empty ice cream buckets and knew someday we would use them for something.
how we made stepping stone walkway from ice cream buckets, concrete masonry, diy, repurposing upcycling
First step,,tear out old walkway.
Second step, cut of bottoms of ice cream buckets at about same distance for all and cover inside of mold with a film of oil so the concrete does not stick and mold will slide much easier.
Then lay them out in the pattern you want, fill with cement and let it cure enough so it will stay together when you take them out of mold, we just used the handles and pulled them off and it worked pretty good.
The next day we added sand between the blocks. They are pretty level, but we are going to let them sit for about two or three weeks and go back and level them out again.
This is what it looks like so far, I put in some shells, bits of glass etc. for A little color here and there.
I will post pics when it is all finished,, but all in all we love it.

• Penny-Marie

What kind of oil did you use to get it out of the buckets?

• Tiffiney

THANKS for the oil info.. I was just talking about doing some steps to my pool not 30 min ago. I didn't know about the oil, is there a certain kind you used?? I'm getting supplies tomorrow is why I ask. Thank again!🤩

• Lola

Go to your Dollar store & get whatever they have to use.

• JA

I so want to do this! We have a boring walkway, just cement blocks maybe 3'x4' but in excellent condition. Amazingly we have also been saving ice cream buckets because our inner hoarders told us we would be glad we did some day. However, where we live (WV) our ice cream comes in round buckets. I've never seen square buckets till now. I wonder how it would look made with round buckets?

• AngieZ

I think it would look awesome!! They make circular stone pavers so your round buckets would work well!