Paper Top Tutorial

$45

This offers a fabulous finish when done right! Here is a quick little tutorial on using paper as a new faux top. The great side to this is, using different crumpling techniques and different stains can give you many varied outcomes! The only limit is your fear to experiment. After all, it's only paper. If you don't like it, change it! Recipe and instructions are on the photos as you browse them. Hope it helps and have fun with it!!!
Here is the final look when applied to a piece of furniture. I have also seen a great tutorial on Hometalk here using it for flooring
Here is a closeup after 4 coats of a polyurethane
I chose to use a woodglue that dries clear, you can use almost any crafting glue though. I figured the wood glue would dry harder.
The jist of this technique is to use brown paper, or paper bags. Crumple them up and soak them in a 50-50 glue to water ratio, then smooth them out how you want them to appear on your piece.
Here it is once the paper has been placed and waiting to dry. Make sure when you are smoothing the paper onto the surface that you really take the time to make sure all the air bubbles are out.
Once it has been applied, simply walk away for 24 hours and let it dry and cure and then choose any stain you like and stain it. And again, walk away for 24 hours and let it cure. If you want it darker, add more stain after.
I stripped the top right clean to allow the glue to seep into the wood grain for better adhesion. I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes in the long run, but this was just a personal choice.
It REFUSED to open! hence why I got the piece so cheap. however, with pieces this old, the secret is, simply putting the drawers in the right hole! Once they were out, they went back in smoothly and open fine now!

These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable
15 Genius Hacks to Keep Pests Away
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
20 Ways To Make Your Own Personalized Clock
21 Ways To Use Those Pickle Jars You've Been Saving
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
3 Gorgeous Decor Projects In The Oh-So-Chic Geometric Style
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas

• Sandy Hartnett

I Love this technique. I did my living room floor in varying shades of Burgundies. It looks like marble I love it I will be posting pictures when I can. I have my own method that I used for this affect.

• Joyce

I'm inspired....gonna try this on my kitchen cabinets.