Tailoring a Bed Skirt

Since the dawn of time, bed skirts have conspired to crush my soul. Oh, the lifting of the mattress, the positioning of the skirt, the replacing of the mattress. The intense physical combat. The sweating and the swearing. Well, I actually enjoy the swearing part.
We have an all-foam mattress which rests its weary flesh on a wooden frame that doesn't play well with bed skirts.
Here's an older picture of our room, and you can see the disaster that is the bed skirt. Frumpy and dumpy and grumpy.
The frame is very short, so the skirt sags depressingly on the rug.
Here, take a scandalous peek under my skirt. I dare you.
See my quilting mat under the bed? Technically, it's my daughter's quilting mat, but possession is nine tenths, as they say.
This always happens as well:
Despite the fact I hate making the bed, I make it almost every day.
I'd always planned on doing something about the skirt, but this happened.
Daily.
That's but a sampling of the damage he's done to this comforter. But Eddie has a history of claiming this land for Spain. If there are beds and pillows involved, you can bet your furry bum he's there.
Getting himself trapped, with no escape in sight.
But Eddie just had his 14th birthday and our little old man has finally given up on jumping up on the bed. As sad as it makes me knowing he's winding down, it also means I can buy a comforter for the bed and have it stay super-duper nice.
So I did.
I threw the new, offensive bed skirt on the floor. The floor was probably dirty, but I most likely didn't care. Perhaps grease spots will haunt my future.
I proceeded to defile the skirt by cutting off all the white part that normally resides beneath the mattress. Then I got out my seam ripper and continued the desecration.
Soon I had three pieces of fabric that perfectly matched the new comforter set. I'd better not screw this up because I'll never have the recipe again.
Oh no.
Philly took me on a date to Home Depot where we bought a piece of luan and cut it to fit the sides and foot of the bed frame. I wrapped it with bug-infested (they were dead) quilt batting.
Then we wrapped with skirt fabric thus.
Halfway through, the pneumatic stapler died. Philly disassembled the demon, found the broken part, swore a bunch, then traveled to Menards to purchase a new one.
We've ordered the replacement part for the original. Now we have serious back-up.
We stapled on some velcro and added velcro to the bed frame so they could have relations...
The end result? Thank goodness you asked, because I've had enough wine to fell a horse, and I need to close down for the night.
Oh, happiness abounds.
So clean and streamlined.
My new comforter set is very similar to the previous set, minus the doggie rips and tears. You can find it here.
http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1928059/madison-park-signature-belmont-8-pc-comforter-set.jsp
Did you spy my DIY Headboard? Go check out that post as well!
Several of you asked how the corners came out, so Eddie was kind enough to demonstrate!
Thanks for visiting! You can visit the full blog post (and other fun stuff) through the link below!
-andi

31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
15 Memorial Day Crafts
Delusions of ingenuity

• Shari Posey Watson
    Shari Posey Watson

I LOVE THIS. I am right there with you, wine included. I may have to do this to my own bed. Thanks for sharing.

• Linda Bonskowski
    Linda Bonskowski

LMBO!!!!!!!! You're hilarious!!!!! If I weren't so lazy I'd try this!

• Lisa
      Lisa

You are a hoot and a half. I have the same pup problem but his land claim is for the English, as in English Setter. He has help too with the native cats that scratch the bed frame to shreds. But he’s just turning 4 so I have lots of years to not care about nice things for my bed. Maybe someday I can give your idea a try. But then I’ll be too old to get down on the floor!!

• Sue
    Sue

so smart. I hate mine also. ? Why do u put two strips of Velcro on the part u made. I only see one on the bed frame. Thnx

• Ikhlas Malikah Mateen
    Ikhlas Malikah Mateen

That came out very well. Thanks for sharing!!

• Sandy L Giglietta
    Sandy L Giglietta

This looks fabulous and just what I need to do. However, it would be great to come up with a way to be able to change out the fabric to go along with different comforters. I like to be seasonal with my bedding. So work on that and get back to us :)