Susan Payne
Susan Payne
  • Stockbridge, GA
Asked on Jun 14, 2013

Boston Ferns & Vacation, HELP

Linda CallahanSusan PayneBrenda Boudreaux
+10

When going on vacation, is there any advise on how to keep from coming home to dead boston ferns? I was considering bringing them inside and placing them in my garden tub with a small amount of water left in the tub.
boston ferns vacation help, gardening
  • Patty Rumaker

Oh, putting them in the tub, what a great idea! I take mine and put them in the garage, and soak them with water before I leave. Now I feel bad, I could have been putting them in the tub and feeding them the whole time.

• Nancy Hand

Great idea! sun and fun in the tub for the ferns!

• Barb Rosen

I have a good girlfriend who comes over and waters mine ~ then I water hers when she heads off on vacation too!

• Mary Richard

Fill a two-liter bottle full of water and turn it upside down sinking the top into the soil. It will slowly drain and provide the necessary water.

• Susan Payne

The two-liter bottle full of water sounds good. And still sitting those babes in the tub. I figure it's cooler in the house than out hanging on the porch. Thanks everyone for your comments and ideas.

• Marilyn Walsh

Yes, the first thing I thought about was leave them sitting in a tub. Even up a bit on some bricks or gravel. The evaporation will work for them toward the end of your vacation it the actual water gets to low...!

• Gail Salminen

@Susan Payne you could create an inexpensive irrigation of your own, that is temporary. Of course it may depend on how long you are gone. You can fill buckets of water with water then wick it into the pot so that the soil soaks up the water from the wick. No fear of over watering. Others have used their bathtubs in the same way - setting the plants around the tub and wicking to all the pots requiring it. Thanks for posting - you are getting lots of great ideas.

• Doris

maybe put them in little kids old hard plastic swimming pool with some water--perhaps that is a garden tub??

• Linda @ Mixed Kreations

I have a irrigation system set up with timers for all my flower beds. But I have three large pots that aren't connected, going to try the two liter bottle method.

• Brenda Boudreaux

put them in a plastic swimming pool with water did this plenty of times came back home to some beautiful plants

• Susan Payne

Thank you everyone. Great ideas. =-)

• Linda Callahan

The ones I'm concerned about is the ones in a half barrel, not moveable. I'll try the 2 liter bottle idea. Thanks for all the input