Dawn Gagnon
Dawn Gagnon
  • Orangeburg, SC

Kitchen Cabinet Refacing: Using Wall Paper!

I always have to give each project I take on a good six months to test before I share with the general public. This idea was one of those projects and I think you'll want to give it a try.
kitchen cabinet refacing using wall paper , kitchen cabinets, kitchen design, wall decor
As seen in the photograph above, this kitchen had dark, heavily lacquered cabinets. While some may like this look, for me it made the kitchen feel dark, dated and oppressive. The most inexpensive solution was to paint. However, I love bead board cabinetry but certainly did not want to go to the work and trouble of adding bead board to each and every cabinet face.
We decided to go with a high gloss paint to give the cabinets the bright cheerful feel, and to each panel, we used textured, paintable, pre-pasted wall paper.
Cabinets are holding up beautifully
Cabinets are holding up beautifully
Rather than soak each piece of measured to fit piece of wall paper, we simply painted on wall paper paste to the cabinet and pressed on to it our wall paper pieces. I know in many of you think soaking wall paper is easier for applying to walls instead of using wall paper paste, but I'm telling you it isn't. You don'get the breakage, and tears applying paste first and using the wall paper dry. It's much faster than you think.
This technique saved us a ton of money!
This technique saved us a ton of money!
This technique has held up beautifully in a kitchen I cook in every single day. The project was inexpensive and I got the look I wanted at a fraction of the cost. The best part was, the cabinets needed no special preparation prior to doing this. I didn't even wipe them down, sand or strip them. Easy peasy!!

To see more: http://dawnsinteriordecoratingsolutions.blogspot.com/

• Annie

How did you do the sides of the cabinet doors? Did you cut the paper to overlap to the back of the door? Or did you paint the sides?

• Mardanty

how big is the unit of wallpaper off amazon? I do not want to order more than 1 time. such a great idea, definitely want to do it to my mobil home cabinetss

much better than plain white

• Dawn Gagnon

I didn't buy my wallpaper by the unit. I just bought how many rolls I needed based on how many linear feet I needed, most rolls are 33 feet long. Typically a roll of wallpaper like this covers around 55 square feet. Always buy a little more than you need, and don't worry about having excess b/c you can find other places to use it, like on bathroom cabinet doors and drawers etc.

• Dawn

Can this be done on cabinets from a modular home that a type of glossy paper was used to look like wood grain that the manufacturer used 23 years ago?

• Dawn Gagnon

I think it can be. Just scuff the panels wipe down with denatured alcohol and use a good wallpaper paste.

• Ruth McAlpin

I am super excited

• Dawn Gagnon

I am very anxious to do in my next home. I usually do this technique in my bathrooms as well. :D

• Kay

I moved into my house about a year ago and my kitchen has been a headache with ugly 60s melamine units I was going to rip out but this idea is fantastic! Now I can have my farmhouse kitchen units for a steal Thanks for sharing.