Lumen Castaneda
Lumen Castaneda
  • Jersey City, NJ
Asked on Jun 24, 2013

I have this flower which I don't know the name. Please help.

Mary KarabanowskiTerisueVoid Strongvillage
+38

I started with one plant and now it has occupied a corner of my garden I think it is invasive.
i have this flower which i don t know the name please help, flowers, gardening

Lumen, you have a type of primrose, or Oenothera, and, yes, it is quite possible that you will soon have too much of a good thing.

• Jeannine Maranchuk

Yes it is primrose and it is VERY invasive. I planted it once & OMG.....each one of the those flowers will house about 200 seeds. They are very tiny and you would do well to curb it now. I planted it back in Manitoba & it took over my garden. Watch out.

• Peg

yellow evening primrose/Oenothera. I love them, such brilliant yellow flowers, they glow in the garden. I have mine growing in sun and in shade. Expect them to spread.

• Barbara poole

Evening Primrose. If you get one you will always have them! Love watching them open around 9 pm each evening!

• Rita C. - Panoply

I have done well to contain my primrose's enthusiasm although, I will admit, it has spread approx 4-5 feet over the course of 5 yrs. To contain it, I cut it all down as soon as the last bloom is spent. I love the sunny mass of color they bring. What growth spread I have, I am happy with, but one can always dig up/pull out what's unwanted.

• Debbie Gilroy

I have lots of spots I could plant this and want it to spread.

• Lumen Castaneda

Thanks Douglas for identifying the flower. And thanks for all the comments which are helpful. Debbie, where can I send you some of them?

• Paula Canup

Looks like my yellow Michigan Primrose....not an evening primrose.

• Gail Salminen

@Lumen Castaneda I have evening primrose as well and have had it for 25 years in our back garden. It does need to be culled back every few years, but I don't find it as invasive as other plants - never had to take the round up to it. I love the way it flowers most of the season and the leaves turn a bit red in the fall.

• Lumen Castaneda

Yes, I agree Gail. they are very pretty and the yellow color is lovely. I have them in pots, too.

• Billie Veach

Primrose is correct, here in Texas we have called them Buttercups.. we have pink and yellow> in Central Texas we have a lot of "wild" flowers growing in our fields and are beautiful in paintings and photos.. the last 8 years we have lost a lot of our plants and with Lady Bird and her wild flower museum in Austin... many have let the wild flowers be the flowers of choice.. Starting in early Spring with the Bluebonnets, followed by other wild flowers we have them all summer and into the fall.. I have my non-wild in large pots to better manage their watering and feeding.. each year is a little hotter and less rain.. we have several blue flowering plants, the wine cup, Indian Paint Brush -red, black-eye Susans, etc.. they are very showy in the fields and large yards.

• Elaine

Definetly in the primrose family, but I call them 4 o'clocks. They need to be controlled. Plant new plants in a tall flower pot with the bottom cut off. The roots will grow down the side of the inside of the pot and not be able to run along the earth to grow new plants. Old ones will stay alive and pretty.

• Mpenny

Lumen, I would love some of your flower.

• Peg

I love them and don't mind thinning them out, I give the surplus to friends. They are some of the most brilliant yellow flowers I've seen!

• Peg

one of my pics of the yellow evening primrose. I have the pink variety too. Different leaves than the yellow.

i have this flower which i don t know the name please help, flowers, gardening, here s some orange lilies growing in the yellow evening primrose patch
  • Lumen Castaneda

Thank you Peg. Yes, this is what I have. Only in yellow. Mpenny, where can I send you the plant? I give them away. It keeps on multiflying.

• Lumen Castaneda

The pink would be lovely, too.

• Cheryl Gough

Look like primroses, variety: sundrop. They do spread but once they are done blooming make a great ground cover.

• Peg

These are what the pink ones look like. They don't grow as high as the yellow ones.

i have this flower which i don t know the name please help, flowers, gardening, Pink Evening Primorse
  • Lumen Castaneda

Peg, these are lovely. They look like somehow , hardy geranium although these are bigger.

• S.venkatesan

THIS ONE IS AVARIETY OF HIBUSCOS--THIS WE CALL IT AS SEMPARUTHI,--THERE ARE MORE THAN 60 VARIETIES IN INDIA. COLOURS VARYING FROM RED, YELLOW. PINK, BLUE, SINGLEBETELS, MULTY BETELS AND SO ON..THESE ARE ANNUAL.

• Lumen Castaneda

What I have is perennial which I had five years ago with a single plant and now there's a lot of them, on the ground and in pots.

• Barbara poole

They reseed is what keeps them coming back. If you notice they are in different spots each year.

• Lumen Castaneda

Mine is in the same place but they are growing in numbers and hugging my rose and other plants.

• Peg

the pink evening primrose is also "Oenothera" , called "oenothera speciosa", also called "showy evening primrose". This particular yellow, because there are several, is "oenthera fruticosa"/ sundrop. They have hairy leaves and stems. As you probably know, they grow runners under the soil and pop up to fill a garden.

i have this flower which i don t know the name please help, flowers, gardening, here s another taller evening primrose larger flowersi have this flower which i don t know the name please help, flowers, gardening, stems are red leaves are more narrow Trying to get an exact identification on it I thought it was hookers but not 100 sure These are big flowers
  • Stephanie

i think it is a yellow buttercup......just purchase one....but not sure....

• Lumen Castaneda

I did a research and I found one name associated with the flower and its called "crimson creeper." I am not sure it is the correct name.

• Wilma williams

Looks like some yellow poppies that my mom planted. They came up every summer but one year the deer at the flowers off and they never came up again.

• Porta Verde Studio

As is said in previous posts, its evening primrose. Their nice in the fall as the foliage turns a brilliant red.

• Pat aka Queen of Thrift

It looks a lot like a plant that I have that is a pass along from my friend who got it from her mother in law in Virginia. Mine is an Ozark Sundrop. You can type that name in computer your search engine to see images and descriptions.

• Ann Darnell

here in wva it is called sundrop, they are invasive but can be destroyed by digging up and not hard to get rid of!

• Pat aka Queen of Thrift

I found my photo of the Ozark Sundrops to share with you. This may not be the same flower, but I believe that it is.

• Pat aka Queen of Thrift

@Lumen Castaneda they bloom heavily here in zone 7 until the end of June. I have had sporadic blooms during the summer, but for the most part, they are now using their energy to form the little mats. Someone mentioned in an earlier post that they form a ground cover. That is a good way to describe it and that is a unique feature of the sun drops. The ground cover stays green all winter and next spring they will send up new flower stems. They spread by underground runners and they do it FAST! I pulled up many of them in the spring. They transplant easily and if one had a spot to let them naturalize it would be a show stopper when they bloom! Thank you for the nice compliment. Our gardens are a work in progress! I don't know if I will ever be finished!

• Jay

This is 'Lesser Mallow' or Hibiscus Hirtus. Found the name while searching for names of some other flowers.

• Lumen Castaneda

And I also found this name as I searched, Crimson Creeper. What ever is the name, i like it and its beautiful in spring. I wish it had other colors. Thanks Jayashree.

• Void Strongvillage

Yellow Evening Primrose.

• Terisue

Peg is correct. Almost invasive. I've heard it called sundrops too.

• Mary Karabanowski

Yes I had this plant at my house. Ozark Sun drop. Some people call it a primrose.