Shawna Bailey
Shawna Bailey
  • West Orange, NJ

The Easiest Rust Remover

$2

I’m a really big fan of rescuing objects, because I don’t believe in throwing things away that still have use in them. Sometimes though you get something and think, “that’s the end of this”, like this rusty pan. But then I found this great tip to remove rust from metal using coke and tinfoil.
the easiest rust remover
Here’s my rusty pan. It's clearly seen too many cheesecakes. I didn't think I could bake with it again.
Step 1: Gather Your Materials
the easiest rust remover
All I used was a bottle of coke and a scrunched up piece of tinfoil.
Step 2: Pour the Coke
the easiest rust remover
I poured the coke all over my pan. There is some chemical reaction that quickly gets the rust off. This is mostly surface rust, so I could wipe it off after a few minutes. For deeper rust you have to let it sit for longer.
Step 3: Scrub with Foil
the easiest rust remover
The coke loosens all the rust, and the foil takes it off. With just a few scrubs all the rust comes off.
Step 4: Rinse Your Pan
the easiest rust remover
Just rinse the coke and rust off your pan. My hands actually got kinda orange while doing this. I'm not sure why...
the easiest rust remover
Tada! All clean. Instant rust remover.
the easiest rust remover
Look at the difference! Now I can bake again!

• Bottle of coke
  • Tinfoil

• Dixie Lee

This works as well with plain old water. Your hands turned orange from the red rust. I've done this for years and am so happy you shared it here!

• Marika

😱...I don’t drink sodas, but if coke would do this to a rusty pan, what would it do to your body? I like to show this to my hubby and g-daughter🤣 but I do like the idea. Thank you