Shawna Bailey
Shawna Bailey
  • West Orange, NJ

The Easiest Rust Remover

$2

I’m a really big fan of rescuing objects, because I don’t believe in throwing things away that still have use in them. Sometimes though you get something and think, “that’s the end of this”, like this rusty pan. But then I found this great tip to remove rust from metal using coke and tinfoil.

the easiest rust remover

Here’s my rusty pan. It's clearly seen too many cheesecakes. I didn't think I could bake with it again.

Step 1: Gather Your Materials

the easiest rust remover

All I used was a bottle of coke and a scrunched up piece of tinfoil.

Step 2: Pour the Coke

the easiest rust remover

I poured the coke all over my pan. There is some chemical reaction that quickly gets the rust off. This is mostly surface rust, so I could wipe it off after a few minutes. For deeper rust you have to let it sit for longer.

Step 3: Scrub with Foil

the easiest rust remover

The coke loosens all the rust, and the foil takes it off. With just a few scrubs all the rust comes off.

Step 4: Rinse Your Pan

the easiest rust remover

Just rinse the coke and rust off your pan. My hands actually got kinda orange while doing this. I'm not sure why...

the easiest rust remover

Tada! All clean. Instant rust remover.

the easiest rust remover

Look at the difference! Now I can bake again!

• Bottle of coke
  • Tinfoil

• Sunny

Can you imagine what coke does when you drink it. I am 80 will it get my rust off my internal organs?

• Dianne Cuddington

Your stomach contains hydrochloric acid, that should be enough to rot your entire stomach lining, but it doesn't.

• Dianne Cuddington

Does Pepsi work as well?

• Alice

Yes, I just googled it. It's a combination of the carbonation & the acid that can dissolve the metal oxides and remove tarnish. Pepsi works just as well.

• Jeanette Burgess

Can this be used on cast iron?? I was just given 3 different size skillets that are very rusted????

• TDL Anna

The fastest way to remove rust from cast iron is to cover it in oil and place over an open flame.

• Sharon

oh, I like using white vineager better than Coke as I always have this on hand...

• Alice

WOW...I drink it all the time. I didn't know it could do this !!!