Shawna Bailey
Shawna Bailey
  • West Orange, NJ

The Easiest Rust Remover

$2

I’m a really big fan of rescuing objects, because I don’t believe in throwing things away that still have use in them. Sometimes though you get something and think, “that’s the end of this”, like this rusty pan. But then I found this great tip to remove rust from metal using coke and tinfoil.

the easiest rust remover

Here’s my rusty pan. It's clearly seen too many cheesecakes. I didn't think I could bake with it again.

Step 1: Gather Your Materials

the easiest rust remover

All I used was a bottle of coke and a scrunched up piece of tinfoil.

Step 2: Pour the Coke

the easiest rust remover

I poured the coke all over my pan. There is some chemical reaction that quickly gets the rust off. This is mostly surface rust, so I could wipe it off after a few minutes. For deeper rust you have to let it sit for longer.

Step 3: Scrub with Foil

the easiest rust remover

The coke loosens all the rust, and the foil takes it off. With just a few scrubs all the rust comes off.

Step 4: Rinse Your Pan

the easiest rust remover

Just rinse the coke and rust off your pan. My hands actually got kinda orange while doing this. I'm not sure why...

the easiest rust remover

Tada! All clean. Instant rust remover.

the easiest rust remover

Look at the difference! Now I can bake again!

• Bottle of coke
  • Tinfoil

• Lalaroze

Kinda scary thought., COKE that removes rust....

What' it doin'to your inside's??

"This was a joke all." "Not an actual educated thought." Apologies.....

• Lien

I know coke cleans a lot of stuff, but he pan she cleaned is brand new.

• Vicki Webster-Young

Doesn't the tinfoil scratch the finish?

• Gypsycowgirl
      30 minutes ago

You can try baking soda and vinegar too. I find this extremely interesting.

Baking soda and vinegar is used to clean tarnished silver - real silverware. Give it a whirl.

• Maria

How can I have a store in this site?

• Virginia

I have a muffin pan, steel with a some sort of finish, that has some small rust spots..I am concerned about the finish but I am afraid to use now so I think I will try..Thanks !!!!

• Dave Huffman

Vinegar works even better. It's all in the acid in the Coke or vinegar that does the trick. Tin foil is much softer than steel & will not scratch it.

Dave Huffman