The Easiest Rust Remover

$2

I’m a really big fan of rescuing objects, because I don’t believe in throwing things away that still have use in them. Sometimes though you get something and think, “that’s the end of this”, like this rusty pan. But then I found this great tip to remove rust from metal using coke and tinfoil.

Here’s my rusty pan. It's clearly seen too many cheesecakes. I didn't think I could bake with it again.

Step 1: Gather Your Materials

All I used was a bottle of coke and a scrunched up piece of tinfoil.

Step 2: Pour the Coke

I poured the coke all over my pan. There is some chemical reaction that quickly gets the rust off. This is mostly surface rust, so I could wipe it off after a few minutes. For deeper rust you have to let it sit for longer.

Step 3: Scrub with Foil

The coke loosens all the rust, and the foil takes it off. With just a few scrubs all the rust comes off.

Step 4: Rinse Your Pan

Just rinse the coke and rust off your pan. My hands actually got kinda orange while doing this. I'm not sure why...

Tada! All clean. Instant rust remover.

Look at the difference! Now I can bake again!

• Bottle of coke
  • Tinfoil

31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Use Ribbon To Decorate For Christmas With These Last Minute Ideas!
Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants

• Mary lu
    Mary lu

How did you do the clasp thing on the side and the rim on the underside? it would be hard to let the coke sit for any length of time there and the foil wouldn't get into the little crevices?

• Marian B Paschket
      Marian B Paschket

Put the pan in an old fashion dish pan. It also works on any car that has Chrome trim.

Just think of what it does to your gut.

• Sam
    Sam

what was on the pan (if in deed you did not use a new pan for the second pic., looked like cooked on food. the type of pan you showed was aluminium. which does not rust. and... your clip on the side of the pan would have had a lot of scratch marks on it from the foil you used for 'scrubbing'....

try again....

• Mike
      Mike

I'm calling bs on this one. As Sam posted above...nice try.

• Lenora Walker
    Lenora Walker

Have a small amount of rust starting in the air conditioners drip pan. Can I just pour coke in without trying to mop it up. Let us dry naturally

• Marian B Paschket
    Marian B Paschket

Years ago while traveling in the Rapid City area went to camp grounds laundry a biker with grease on his jean put a can of classic coke in the jeans came out with grease on them. When using coke it must the classic kind only.

• Rollazs4lyfe
    Rollazs4lyfe

She use another pan because if she would have continued with the camera to the sink and back to the counter I would have be leaved it