Asked on Sep 21, 2016

What can I do with an old phone??

CoraMary BogerMarnidarr
+49

I bought a house and there is a really ugly phone that is attached to the hole in the entrance way.
Is there a way to re purpose the phone and turn it into something nice? Its embedded deep on the wall, and I don't want to take it off... (and its too old to actually be used) Thanks!
  • Sandy Hentila
    Sandy Hentila

Use a large shadow box to enclose the phone and keep it for display right on the wall.

• Mala
    Mala

Hi, congratulations on your new home. You could put an antique looking frame around the phone or just write above or to the side of it..."put your finger in the hole of the number you want to dial"

, It will be fun and a conversation piece
  • Sandro Visani
    Sandro Visani

Remove the cover, remove as much of the interior as you can and the cord, glue the hand set to the main box to transform it into a handle, hang small hooks inside and transform it into a key caddy.

• Aziz Siddiqui
    Aziz Siddiqui

Am a grandfather, So: Clean it as much as you can, put a fresh paint, And Put a placard above it saying:" GRAND FATGER"S PHONE", or what ever best comes to your mind. Your visitors will love ur.

• Katii Blood
    Katii Blood

Not a repurposing idea, but If you have a landline, the phone should work (unless its been destroyed somehow, but age won't do it).

• Deanna Nassar
    Deanna Nassar

Usually these have a jack behind them and hang on a hook attached to back of phone. Try pushing up on base to release the hook. If it won't come down that way you have the option of taking it apart by prying off cover ans disconnecting insides or frame it with sign saying antique. Attach cup hooks to bottom of frame for keys or small items. If you don't like the color it can be painted.

• Rc Shoe
    Rc Shoe

Check out this video of installing wall phone. It illustrates the process for hanging, so just reverse it to take it down.

• Mj
    Mj

Don't get rid of it. If you ever loose electric power in your area, these old phones work like a champ. I found out the hard way. Keep it handy ~

• Stella Love
    Stella Love

You can remove it quite easy it's just hooked to the wall and probably has a very short cord that you just unplug.

• Wowhavs
    Wowhavs

It will eventually be worth some money to a collector.....

• LaFawne
    LaFawne

You could always hang a large straw basket over it, until you decide on a permanent fix :)

• Sandra Allen
      Sandra Allen

I was just going to suggest this! A shadow box would work, too. I often cover blemishes with a pretty doll or floral arrangement.

• Cathie Mars
    Cathie Mars

If you have children learning numbers/letters, why not take it down and let them play with it; also learning their own phone # along with grandma's number and 911. When to call 911 etc..

• Linda Johnson
    Linda Johnson

I'd leave it there. If you don't want to see it, you can make a wood box to put over it and put "emergency phone" or something else on the box.

• Darline
    Darline

It should be easy to remove, and the remaining mar to your wall should be easy to cover. As far as the phone, I'd paint it with a design and put a base of a painted brick glued under it and use it as either a doorstop or a garden decoration.

• V Nichols
    V Nichols

I'd build a small box with a door around it. On the inside of the door put about 4 hooks, for keys. Stencil "keys" or something else on the outside of the door. Also, put a small shelf top on the top of the box to put a few knick knacks on. Make it into a useful decorative box.

• B
    B

Paint it in psychedelic colors in zentangle fashion. Color all numbers in black and then paint on your families lastname or what have you. It would make a good conversational piece when guests come over.

• Joan Stanley
    Joan Stanley

Take it off. You can use it for other décor but the entryway its just ugly. There's a plate behind it that is just screwed into the wall. not too hard to cover up.

• Briar
    Briar

Make a mini phone booth.

• CrowEyes
    CrowEyes

Sell it on eBay and put the money towards a piece of wall de or to cover the spot. ;)

• LibraryKAT
    LibraryKAT

They come off the wall; they're just screwed onto a plate underneath them. If the plate is still there, stuck somehow, or you are left with a hole, either patch it or hang something you love over it.

• Lynn Couch
    Lynn Couch

Hang a wooden box over it. Use the top of the box for what knots...

• Melinda Worrell Namanny
    Melinda Worrell Namanny

Plant real or faux succulents in the receiver. I think the pieces both can be unscrewed.

• Susan
    Susan

Take it off and hang a cordless phone there. Those phones are not that old and are still completely useable. You might just need a corded phone when the electric goes out....

• Kyralee
    Kyralee

One man's ugly is another man's gorgeous. I love it! Find someone else who does and make them a trade.

• Lisa St Cin Cionko
    Lisa St Cin Cionko

Put a picture frame around the phone then paint the inside of frame, around the phone, with chalkboard paint. Then leave numbers or notes on chalkboard.

• Flora Lape
      Flora Lape

I have one also that was on the wall from previous owner --i like your idea -thanks

• Gama
    Gama

Keep it for when the electric goes out then you'll have a phone to use. Cordless don't work when the electric goes out.

• Jane R.
      Jane R.

I have this exact phone in my garage. It was the only phone that worked when my electricity went out. Then I got u-verse voice from my phone company and now It doesn't work when power goes out because phone service is through the internet. I hate that!

• Cindy
    Cindy

Just keep it where it is, I have an old dial phone. The only one that is useable during a lighting storm!

• Kcama
    Kcama

Love the chalkboard idea, make it poster size, maybe unhook the earpiece and place it in an opposite corner with a speech bubble that says "it's for you" or something. ("Call your mother!") If you're not going to use the phone, you could even paint it any color you want.

• Janet AF
    Janet AF

the phone is not embedded in the wall, just the phone Jack. If you don't have land line service and want this gone it is easy to remove. pull up and Then out on the phone base it will slide off the studs that are part of the Jack. once the phone is off there will be screws exposed. you can unscrew these and it will expose the back of the back and the wires. you can unscrew or just cut these they are not high voltage so won't hurt you. It is a good idea to clip the exposed wire back so the wire is covered by the insulation. If you worry about the exposed ends simply tape them off with electrical tape. you can then buy a simple blind plate and screw it to the existing box in the wall. you can then hang a picture or whatever to cover the blind plate or just leave as is. If you don't want the blind plate you could of course patch the drywall that's a whole new project.

• Antique
    Antique

recycle to your local thrift store. Some people like vintage phones and this way you get rid of it, someone who wants one can purchase for a nominal amount and the thrift store - one that is charity based makes a little profit that goes to help someone in need

• Comiksitran
    Comiksitran

"What can I do with an old phone?"....You can call your poor old parents. ☺

• Sherry Poole
    Sherry Poole

Take some plastic spray paint and paint it a color you like... You will need to of course do some prep work but paint it to compliment your decor or opposite of your decor for a stand out statement.

• JansDIY
      JansDIY

I am a real novice. I have a phone just like this that I actually still use, but it has yellowed. I would like to paint it, but don't even know how to begin. Do I have to take it apart and sand it or what? Could you e-mail me at: jhargrave946@halifaxcc.edu Thanks so much for any help you can offer. Janice

• Vicky Swycinsky
    Vicky Swycinsky

These phones work without electricity so you might want to hang on to it for later use when the power goes out.

• Gama
    Gama

That's what I told her Vicky S. I hope that she takes our suggestion.

• Rachel
    Rachel

Thanks to everyone- but we do not have a landline number! so this phone is really useless.... I was hoping to re-purpose it into something nice

• Pauline
    Pauline

Make a frame and decoupage old phone book pages on it. Put it on the wall around the phone. Add a shelf under the frame and put a pad and pencil for notes. The phone will be a nice conversation piece.

• Aryeh Kaufman
    Aryeh Kaufman

Maybe you can re-wire and connect an audio jack - this way you can connect it to your cellphone
  • Marnidarr
    Marnidarr

I don't know why, but turning it into a planter sprung to mind. You could lay the receiver on a shelf nearby, (perhaps the same color as the phone), & plant air plants into each end. If you hollow out the phone innards & make a hole in the top, you could have a plant inside & peek out the top. Reattach the back of the phone & put it on the wall right where it was before. Very little work involved! Good luck!
  • Mary Boger
    Mary Boger

Introduce it to my old avocado wall phone. Maybe they'll
    have a little princess phone...lol. It is good to have a landline
    as backup. I really like the previous response to have a speech
    bubble by it.
  • Cora
    Cora

I would give my eye-teeth for some good old-fashioned phones.....