Abbey D
Abbey D
  • Delaware, OH

Painted Brick House Makeover

Last year my family packed up our stuff, left the busy subdivision we lived in and moved to the country. We moved into a house built in 1982 that was owned by an elderly gentleman who made his version of "updates" to the home, but left much to be desired in our eyes. We purchased the house knowing that we had a lot of work ahead of us and wanting to start by updating the exterior of the house, which had
painted brick house makeover, concrete masonry, gardening, home decor, outdoor living, paint colors, painting
Here's the house before. Pink/red brick, light pea green stucco around the garage and dark pea green shutters. It also had a dark pea green fence. The landscaping was way overgrown as the previous owners moved out a year before they were able to sell the house--so we had to tackle the landscaping, as well, and we needed something simple to maintain (we aren't much for gardening).
Here's the after. We painted the brick Sherwin Williams' Alabaster White. The stucco is Sherwin Williams Steely Gray. The shutters and fence are Sherwin Williams Peppercorn and the trim was painted Sherwin Williams Bright White (although it's hard to see the difference in whites from far away).
As you can see, the front walkway was very overgrown, so we literally pulled it all and started over fresh.
We chose simple shrubs and red mulch to add a pop of color. I hope to add more flowers in the spring, but in case you didn't know...landscaping your entire house and repainting is quite expensive, so I started this season with the basics. The flower bed up front is very long and deep, so it'll take some time to get it to it's full glory.
We have gotten so many compliments from our neighbors near and far about the makeover...some even joke that had they gotten rid of the pea green in the first place, maybe it would have sold faster.
Who knows.
We love how it turned out...visit my blog for ALL the before and after photos!
Abbey D

• Janet M

Did you account for moisture from behind so the paint won't eventually pop off? Lotta work there!

• Debra Hotham

I painted my brick Grey w/darker Grey on shutters doors and eaves..I get many compliments...Deb

• Becky Watkins Burdorff

How often,will u need to repaint the brick?

• Jeri McAllister

My husband and I painted our brick house AND the aluminum siding trim twenty-six years ago. We no longer live there, but I pass it every day, and the brick still looks good, although the aluminum siding is beginning to look kinda faded and worn. The brick was a very strong-textured brick and really soaked up the paint--but it has lasted beautifully!

• Jeanne

Abbey- You guy's made a huge improvement in your home! It looks so inviting now! One more question though, have you given any thought to painting your front sidewalk to match the shutters? I think it would really spiff it up!

• Shelia Chesser Tingle

My daughter was thinking of painting her brick white, and she was told she would have to repaint it every 3yrs so she didn't do it. I love the change!