This fireplace needs help, suggestions would be great!

+88
What would you do with this fireplace?? Its in a large living room, I will be painting the walls after I get the fireplace redone.
q fireplace needs help , fireplaces mantels
Any suggestions are appreciated...thanks in advance.
  • Cori Widen Cori Widen on Dec 07, 2016
    Hmm, I'm thinking about it and I'll get back to you...

Also, this discussion had a lot of good suggestions that may be relevant for you: https://www.hometalk.com/16480062/q-i-have-very-bad-eye-sore-of-a-fireplace-what-to-do-with-it-it-s-stone

What to do about my eyesore of my stone fireplace?

• Renep Renep on Dec 07, 2016
    Depending on your décor - - either modern or country or somewhere in between - - a slab of Carrera marble or large tiles, carried to the ceiling........ or change mantle, add matching stone to either side of fireplace (18 - 24") - - or little sitting area. We have done all those changes in various houses we've had
  • Donna Crosland Donna Crosland on Dec 07, 2016
    here's a thought.

add an accent board under each Corbel - to make it have a bit more structure. Paint the mantel, corbels and new wood a dove white. You could also do a frame above the mantel piece to add detail in white with a fabric behind it - with some nice contrast colors for the red walls.

Remember when you decorate the mantel - use the rule of 3 and stagger the heights with the tallest on the outside moving smaller in towards the middle.

Once you get the white paint in place - you might want to evaluate the dark hearth - using another complimentary color - darker -but not as dark as what you have to pull it all together.

You are so lucky to have that fabulous stone front on the fireplace,
      oh and you can paint the metal fireplace surround as well in a white (auto paint) to help with a smooth front façade.
  • Charro Charro on Dec 08, 2016
    I actually love the fireplace. The colors are great and if you lighten up the mantle and the hearth it will be even better. I know color is a very personal preference but instead of renovating the fireplace why not paint your walls a lighter color. Your pale stones are too much contrast to the walls. Paint is a very easy fix. I would even use a neutral color seen in the stones. I added the picture to show the color not the style as an example. The fireplace becomes part of the room instead of the focus of the room. I hope this helps!
    • See 2 previous
    • B. Enne B. Enne on Dec 12, 2016
      I agree too. It is easier, faster and cheaper to paint the wall first. You can always change the fireplace after, if you still don't like it. I felt the same way about some features in my house, and when I lightened the walls, I changed my mind.
  • Annie Annie on Dec 08, 2016
    Fully agree with Charo 534. There's nothing wrong with the fireplace. Wall color creates too much contrast.
  • Bar6807391 Bar6807391 on Dec 08, 2016
    Thank you
  • 7kr13825056 7kr13825056 on Dec 08, 2016
    I would remove the mantel and paint the walls a shade of grey, not too light. I think simplicity is the best. I think the stone looks great to be honest and maybe if you have the money, invest in a new floor - the new laminates are great! Maybe a beautiful throw rug in front and a painting above. Or if you can't afford the floor right now just go with the paint and the painting.
  • I agree with the others, it might not be the fireplace; I think it's the walls. Start there. Also, just received a blog post yesterday from LaurelBernInteriors.com about painting stone fireplaces. It's a great read!
  • Con8790511 Con8790511 on Dec 08, 2016
    Too much stuff on the mantel. Also, as others have said, lighten up the walls. How about using one of the blue-greys from the stone. Don't paint the stone unless you are going for a more modern look. You could also use a very plain wood paneling with a molded trim (very small amount of trim) and carry it to the ceiling. Center your art on the panel. Good luck! Lovely fireplace to work with, and hearth could also be lightened.
  • Sharon Sharon on Dec 08, 2016
    I also believe that you have too much contrast with the wall color. So start with your wall color and then re-assess. You may want to just leave it as is. Also a larger statement piece over the mantle would make it look more grand, like a large painting or mirror.
  • Bar6807391 Bar6807391 on Dec 08, 2016
    Thank you ,I was wondering if I could paint it!!
  • Elaine Elaine on Dec 08, 2016
    I don't find anything wrong with the mantel at all. However, if it's bothering you, I'd suggest adding another longer length of wood on top of the current then painting the two top pieces a creamy white. If you're painting your walls, I'd suggest going lighter. Hang a large vertically-running mirror above the mantel to draw more attention to it, then really reduce your accessories on top of the mantel. Go on Pinterest and type in: "how to accessorize a mantel" and you will see less definitely looks much, much better!
  • Elaine Elaine on Dec 08, 2016
    PS: I forgot to add that besides using less accessories, larger pieces have more "prescence" than smaller ... so just remember "fewer but larger" and you're on the right track. You'll find lots of decor help on the Internet.
  • Elaine Elaine on Dec 08, 2016
    Oops, spelling error - should be "presence" not spelled with two c's!
  • Nadine Nadine on Dec 08, 2016
    Love the fireplace and mantle as is. The paint on the wall is the problem. You can use any of the colors on the fireplace(light beiges and greys) for your wall. Also, add a large picture/mirror over the fireplace to bring the eye up. Additionally, pull up the carpet and stain the concrete if you cannot afford to replace the flooring. It will make a huge difference.
  • Stella Stella on Dec 08, 2016
    I also think it might be the wall color not the fireplace, try going for a gray tone color. Also a statement piece hanging over the fireplace, and decorate the mantle with a grouping of threes
  • Irene Irene on Dec 08, 2016
    My husband built two white bookcases on either side of our white fireplace and a new long mantle to go across the entire wall. What a difference it made. We received many compliments on it. I used the bookcases to display my treasures, books, plants, etc., and had a large mirror hanging above the fireplace (or a flat-screen TV would work also). If you're not into building the bookcases, you can buy them and have a mantle cut to size at Home Depot. Good luck!
  • Jane Jane on Dec 08, 2016
    Look at this beautiful fireplace. Yours could easily look like this.
    Even just painting the mantle and hearth white would make a huge difference.
    I hope you don't paint the rock. It's the best part.

• Jane Jane on Dec 08, 2016
    Another great look....my favorite blogger Rhoda and her dad did this. Beautiful!
  • REBECCA REBECCA on Dec 08, 2016
    yes I agree with all the comments - it's really the wall color that's creating the problem. Actually the fireplace is rather good looking on it's own and just needs a more complimentary color near it. easy fix, paint those walls
  • Kaye Hawthorne Kaye Hawthorne on Dec 08, 2016
    to compliment your fireplace and those beautiful stones repaint your mantel a bright glossy white! We owned a painting company for years and now our son has taken the business over.
    one of the main problems customers have is choosing a wall color and having it clash with the furniture and decor in a room. First repaint the mantel in white, this will now make your fireplace the focal point in the room. Next is choosing your wall color based on your furniture and decor. This is done by really noticing the finer details/colors of your items. For example, do you have say the color of blues or reds in most of your items...this is a color that your prone to like and you are purchasing these colors in hour decor. With that in mind ... go to your local paint supplier and pick out 2-4 blocks of every color in that one color field. Example it's red, choose a red color sample block in the same color line as they will go from lightest to darkest. Also pick up 2-4 samples of a gloss white. Now return home and take the item which has the most color and using your samples place, tape or lay your sample colors next to the color. A match will be the one which stands out and makes you think "oh, Wow," love it. Now using all the samples you have of that color tape them together to form a square of that color only and do the same with the white color sample blocks. Go to the fireplace and tape the white square where it can be seen on the front edge and/or side of the mantel, finally tape the wall color sample square next to the white on your mantel. Stand back a few steps and view it and imagine the entire room in this color and trim out your molding in the same gloss white as the mantel.
    make sure to take before and after photos....you'll be amazEd at how your room and furnishing will come together. Finish by adding a large photo, mirror, painting on walls centering with fireplace add tall pillar candles in a grouping of three from say a 6", 3", 2" candle on one end and use /do the same height to the opposite end. The center can be a figurine of a large deer laying down ...this completes your mantel. The last item would be two vases exactly alike in colors similar to your wall color with a mix of artificial florals or beautiful shades of plain greenery. Your fireplace will be the Wow!, factor in the room as well as the focal point. Hope this helps....take your time when choosing your color don't just settle because you're just tired if looking for a color. We've spent several hours in a room before making sure to pick just the right color to make her room and/or home stand out from the rest of their friends and/or family! Have fun and enjoy!
  • Karen Rowell Karen Rowell on Dec 08, 2016
    Beef up the mantel with stained cedar. Lighten the walls and hang large picture.
  • Karen Walker Karen Walker on Dec 08, 2016
    Consider buying an extremely large mirror or simply a frame to go above the mantle. Make it the focal point of your room. And I agree with one of the other readers, your shiny paint on your wall accentuates the tiny flaws, use a flat paint or eggshell paint to keep from having such a stark contrast between wall & stone. Have you considered painting the stone or staining it? Talk with your local paint shops about what's safe near open flame or heat first!
  • Bar6807391 Bar6807391 on Dec 08, 2016
    yes i have thought about painting it,i just moved into my house and this is what the prior owner had on the walls,i dont like it at all..thanks
  • Fran Vance Fran Vance on Dec 09, 2016
    Some beautiful colors in the STONE. Paint the wall with one or at least close to the color and I would change the color of the mantel. Your room will look so much brighter and cleaner. Good luck! I have somewhat of a problem but my fire box is falling out back to the chimney I probably will install a new style box and tear down the chimney outside.
  • Sue Peet Sue Peet on Dec 09, 2016
    I disagree with changing the color of the fireplace but I do agree on changing the color on the wall. If it was my fireplace I'd pick a color that isn't too bright, and definitely stay away from dark colors. Find something you would enjoy looking at to hang above the mantel. It all depends on what you like, whether its a favorite of artwork, maybe a framed photo, a pretty framed mirror or a flat screen TV. Don't put too much on the mantel unless you are decorating for a holiday or special occasion. Building bookcases on either side would also make the fireplace stand out.
  • Opal Opal on Dec 09, 2016
    For me the biggest issue is the large expanse of color, currently red. Having such a large area is messing with the scale/balance of the fireplace. I would suggest creating a column of color up and around the fireplace breaking up that larger area of color which would bring the focus back to the fireplace. Vertical planks at the sides of the fireplace, floor to ceiling at least 4-6" wide matching the mantle (which I would paint a soft white). You could paint the area above the fireplace between the planks and the planks a color coordinating with the brick, add planks to fill the space and paint or whatever you like. Find something you love that is large to hang above the mantle and limit stuff on the mantle. Lots of short stuff will bring the balance down again.
  • Mar8791369 Mar8791369 on Dec 10, 2016
    I love the brick, it is actually the wall color which is very distracting. and I agree with a large mirror or simple frame over the fireplace. a little bit of greenery and you are good to go!
  • Nancy Jemming Johnson Nancy Jemming Johnson on Dec 10, 2016
    I would also put a gas insert in instead of dealing with the mess of the fire.
  • DeForest Ray Sparks DeForest Ray Sparks on Dec 10, 2016
    You could put a log wall over the old wall, you can get the cuts that are the out side of the log, normally not very thick remove the bark and finish how ever you wish. A log wall always looks good next to a fireplace.
  • Teresa Seeger-Gesser Teresa Seeger-Gesser on Dec 10, 2016
    Simply lighten it up - and the wall color.
  • Centrd Centrd on Dec 10, 2016
    I agree with most everyone else. It's not the fireplace that's the problem, it's the wall color. I know that wasn't your choice, so just replace it with one of the nice neutral tones in the stone (light gray, warm white, etc). I was just reading an article today about a stone fireplace in a large room, and the designer was saying the best thing to do is keep the wall tones similar to the stone in the fireplace so that it doesn't stick out oddly. Then you can add nice decor to make the fireplace pop. I'd also add a large mirror or a nice piece of artwork over the top to beef up the impression of size and overall presence in the room. I think the fireplace has great bones and will be beautiful when enhanced properly, so have fun with it!
  • Beverly Feher Beverly Feher on Dec 10, 2016
    Make a dramatic look for the entire room by adding some matching faux stone up to the ceiling! The mantle can stay as it's. It will add more texture and fill the wall space totally different than just the paint. I would use a flat paint in one off the colors of the stone. Depending on the amount of light in the room use either the cool or warm tones in the stone for the paint color!
  • Mary Mary on Dec 11, 2016
    Change the wall color first. If you do not change the wall color to what you want first, you will have no perspective on what you want to do with the fireplace. For instance, if you do the walls in a soft grey or tan, you may well find that the fireplace is perfect. I would lighten the mantel. Pull color choices from the stone on the fireplace and you will find you room come alive with lightness and livability.
  • Lnp8087338 Lnp8087338 on Dec 11, 2016
    The fireplace is fine the way it is. Your wall is too aggressive against it. There are a whole lot of new wallpapers that are perfect for this wall. I had a huge stone wallpaper wall done in my living room and everyone thinks they are real. It is quite amazing what new wallpaper is out there. I have a 12 foot wide by 8 ft high wall that you would swear are real huge stones. Check it out.
    • See 2 previous
    • Lnp8087338 Lnp8087338 on Dec 16, 2016
      it is made by komar and the pattern # 8-727. i ordered through lowes about 5 months ago.
  • Irk8415906 Irk8415906 on Dec 11, 2016
    i agree with everything but the mirror idea. A mirror should reflect something. If you put up a mirror and all you see in the mirror is the ceiling, then that does not look well. So unless the mantle is low I would ditch the mirror idea and put up a nice painting.
    • Laurel Lewis Laurel Lewis on Dec 12, 2016
      I bought an inexpensive mirror that is normally mounted on the back of a door. I painted the frame dark gray/black and then leaned the mirror sideways across the top of my fireplace mantel which is a dark gray/black color and has sand mixed in with paint, making it a gritty surface. The mantel is about five feet tall. Placed my clocks, candles, etc., back on mantel top. Quite a stunning display,...a dark mantel against a lighter living room wall and different since the mirror spans nearly the entire width the mantel.
  • PattyV PattyV on Dec 11, 2016
    How high is the ceiling? I like the idea of taking the stone up to the ceiling depending on the ceiling height. I also think the whole fireplace surround could be a little bigger, As another posted suggested, adding some width to the sides with additional posts might balance it out a little. Although, a much lighter paint color and a large picture might just do the trick.
    • See 1 previous
    • PattyV PattyV on Dec 12, 2016
      I think the stone addition could be quite an expense and may not achieve the look you want. To see if you like the look, I would make a template by drawing a stone design on paper, make a bunch of copies and place on wall to see if you would like - otherwise I would just beef up the fireplace and add a large print or beveled mirror to the wall. Or if you paint the room, leave a large patch of the red above fire place, place a beefy dark frame around it and group you photos of the red flowers inside the frame. Your silver candlesticks would like to one side (a third one in silver would be a nice addition to the two existing ones).