How to Easily Make a Burlap Poinsettia

Burlap, burlap, and more burlap! It’s not enough that I made my own no-sew burlap curtains, but now I’ve started decking my Christmas tree in the rough and rustic fabric. I’m super excited about my latest creation because it is so easy! I combined some tips I found on the internet with a little creativity to come up with the easiest tutorial on how to make a burlap poinsettia.
The whole project takes about an hour of active time, but you can break that down into three short steps done over 2-3 days. Tackling this project in shorter steps makes it a perfect project to squeeze in while you are doing other things.
Start by making a flower petal pattern out of paper. Freehand draw your patterns to the size and shape of your liking. Using a pattern allows you to be consistent in the size and shape. I made two sizes for my burlap poinsettia.
Next, using the pattern, cut out your burlap. I was a little doubtful about the rotary cutter’s ability to cut through thick burlap, but it was amazing! It did so well that I ended up folding the burlap so that I was cutting through four layers at a time. I also cut my petals out as close to each other as possible so that I wasn’t wasting a lot of fabric.
You might be wondering right about now how to make a burlap poinsettia keep its shape. Well, my friend, that would be with Mod Podge.
Start out by covering your work space to avoid getting the glue everywhere. Wax paper works really well. Applying Mod Podge will help stiffen the fabric, and it also helps to cut down on fraying.
Paint it on using a small brush.
After the petals have completely dried, they are easy to shape. Starting with the larger petals, take one and fold the edges over to form a taco shape {that’s a very technical term}.
Apply the hot glue to the edge of one side starting at the tip of your petal and going up about 1/3 of the way along the edge.
Before the glue dries, fold a second petal and stick it to your first petal so that the bottom points are touching. Let it dry completely before gluing the next petal. Keep repeating this step for each large petal. The petals will start to fan out.
Next, glue the first petal to the last the same way you have glued the others. After the glue is dry, shape your flower as needed. If it starts to get a cone shape from the petals being glued together, simply push it down in the middle to get it a little flatter.
Repeat these steps for the smaller petals.
Glue the smaller circle to the top of the larger circle.
Add a little shimmer by gluing some artificial berries to the center.
Glue a clothes pin to the back of your poinsettia for an easy way to hang your burlap flower.
And that’s how to make a burlap poinsettia! Use them as ornaments, hang them on a wreath or stocking, or use them as a homemade touch to decorate your Christmas gifts.
For additional pictures, see the full post at www.busybliss.com/how-to-make-a-burlap-poinsettia/

• Burlap
  • Rotary cutter or scissors
  • Mod Podge

Amie

• Placida Padilla

I love burlap anything, is it easier to apply the mod podge before cutting out the leaves? Can u add some kind of coloring to the podge?

• Amie

Possibly, I didn't have trouble with cutting before adding mod podge, but something to try! I've not added coloring to it either, but it is really just a glue so I don't see why you can't. You can also get glitter mod podge or colored burlap.

• Jewellmartin

While the Mod Podge is still tacky, you can add seed pearls, powder glitter, or ground spices! And the Mod Podge dries clear. I love it when old materials are given new life! Jewell

• Sherry Fram

That is just too cool! Would red burlap work as well??? Love the clothespin idea so you can use it in different ways! Thanks for sharing!

• Amie

yes, I'm sure red burlap would work too!

• Mcr10111241

How many petals did you cut out?

• Meli

How many do you see? ;-)

• Sandra Crosbie

I really love the Christmas spirit this flower has. I really DON'T like sarcastic commenters. Some people ask questions which don't or won't take long for the poster to answer. I'm surprised and disappointed at sarcasm and snidyiness. ( it's not an actual word but a description). Merry Christmas🌲❄⛄

• Amie

I cut 8 large petals and 6 small. I don't think it would work well with less petals, but you can definitely add more for a fuller effect. :)

• Dennie

For each poinsettia she cut out 8 of the big ones and 6 of the small ones.

• Diane Burnham

Did you Mod Podge both sides of the petals or just the front side?

• Amie

I did both sides

• Rif28796397

I'm very excited to start. I just need to know how many petals and what size
    • Amie

I cut 8 large petals and 6 smaller petals. I don't have exact dimensions, but from what I remember they were about 6 inches and 4 inches. You can make them bigger or smaller depending on your project.
  • Margaret M. Goorskey Haight

is there some way I can print this ? Love the ideas, but where I use my computer and where I do my crafting, doesn't lend itself to having the 'puter' up and running...… But I didn't see a place that said I could print the directions...…..

• Lyndia McCorkle Bailey

Directions on howto make a button wreth

• Annalee Robertson

Can you use modge podge on regular cotton fabric to have the same effect as the burlap material?

• Julia Bys

I personally do not know, but I would think if you used duck cloth or outside fabric it would work. These fabrics are thicker than regular cotton fabric, if you have fabric scraps hanging around (like most sewers does) you could take a piece and try using just one petal and see how it holds up. Or, maybe use fabric thickener instead of the mod Podge.

• Jewellmartin

Another hint—use a 4-6” piece of florist wire down through the center of each petal. Just glue it in and you will have made bendable petals. You can paint over the wire with the same color as the burlap. Jewell

• Cindy Leonard

When I cut my burlap it comes apart

• Carol Daniels

Looks like a fun. Project!💘 it,gotta make some!

• Tammie

Could even attach a magnet on the back for a refrigerator magnet, or on the back of the clothespin on the poinsettia for a note holder on the refrig, or string them up as garland on a piece of twine----oooo-----I'm going to have to try these ideas!