Wrapping With Thrifted Scarves

$1.00

I stood in front of a bin of knitted scarves at Goodwill one day, wondering how I could upcycle them into some fantastic something-or-other to take advantage of their beautiful patterns
With some very minimal sewing, I found it was quite easy to turn 2-ply knit scarves into gift bags of all kinds, but wine bags in particular.
You start by cutting a section of the scarf to the length that you want your final gift back. If you want to make a wine bag, cut it about 15-16" long.
Sew one end shut (that's the bottom).
[in my blog post, I have some specific directions on how to quickly make your bottom more fitted and flat in order to hold its contents better.]
Hem the other end (that's the top).
The red ones are my absolute favorite. String a couple of pom poms and wrap them around the top and you're good to go!

• 2-ply knit scarf  (thrift store)
  • Thread  (fabric store)

31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own
Adirondack Girl @ Heart

• Mary Lou Mares Johnson
    Mary Lou Mares Johnson

What a great idea. As I read your comments, it sparked another idea, how about using the sleeves of sweaters or shirts as well. I love when one idea leads to another. Thanks heaps!

• Terri Milburn Brown
    Terri Milburn Brown

I was inspired by this project as well as a few other ways to use those beautiful scarves we all have a few too many of. Thank you for the article. Gift bags are a wonderful idea! I also thought about artwork matting, table runners or place mats and of course, knapkins. First creative brainstorming for the upcoming holiday season 🌺