Kara S.
Kara S.
  • Hometalk Team
  • Houston, TX

How To Roll Plastic Shopping Bags

$0

Everyone has that 1 spot in their house that holds all the plastic shopping bags. For me, it's under the sink. I stuff them all in there until I need one then they all come flying out. What a disaster. I decided it was time to learn how to roll them into a space-saving dispenser! Heres how -
We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
how to roll plastic shopping bags, how to
First, you fold the bag in half and press all the air out.
Next, you line the bags up. This is the important part - only let the handle from the second bag overlap the first bag. This is what will give you the dispensing effect.
You then fold the top handle back and begin to roll down.
You continue to roll and line the bags up, rolling downward only letting the handles overlap.
Finally, you should have something that looks like this!
My roll fit perfectly into an empty clorox container. I snapped the lid off, inserted the bags through the notches and replaced the cap.
It's so easy! I just sit in front of the TV and roll the bags every so often. It saves SO much space under my sink and not to mention it looks nicer.
Check out the video below to watch me roll the bags!

Clorox Germicidal Cloth Wipe, White, 6 3/4"(W) x 9"(L), 70/Container

• Denise

Good idea but where do you store all your bags unti the next time you need a pile to roll up

• Kara S.

I don't let them pile up , it's super easy to add them to the existing roll. Just take it out of the container, line up the new bags to the last bag you rolled and repeat the steps!

• Diane

I just took ordinary box that could be fourteen inch high and wide and covered with favorite contact paper and cut a hole about a little bigger than my fist and I just stuff all my bags there inside a drawer it's really convenient and you can actually make it any size you want.

• Pamela Wallace

I flatten mine out, fold them length wise as skinny as I can get them them roll them up individually and stuff them in an empty kleenex box.

• Maria Daniels

Take back to Wal-mart and put in recycle box when I get too many to use.

• Esther

That's nice. but , People don't like recycle used bags when they buy grocery .

• A. Saucedo

I stuff them in a clean milk gallon w/ a hole in front. If u cut the bottom of handle it can be hung anywhere.

• Millie

I use empty tissue boxes I like that I am recycling. They also have premade holders that are long and narrow that take up very little space. Some of us older folk like things very simple.

• Katheryn Pinkerton

Etty I check with my friend who works at a store the recycle bags are made into new bags not ever used they just recycle into new platic

• Marge

I cut them into loops and loop together to make "plarn", and then crochet them into lightweight, moisture resistant bedrolls, which I then donate to my rescue mission for the homeless (: include a carry strap ! Look it up on Pinterest (:

• Marge

Obviously, I also have others who save them for me for this purpose !

• Dawn Renee' Lemons Freeman

Ask several employees at stores that "say" they Recycle plastic bags because not all of them do. There were 5 Walmart stores within 20 miles of us SSW of Dallas, and two of those didn't actually Recycle them--they just gathered them and put them in the trash. :-(

• Marge

Sometimes, that unfortunately may be due to the piggish actions of some of the customers. One of my local stores actually gets more garbage (literally) than bags deposited into their "plastic bags only please" recycling receptacle. There's no excuse for that.

• Cat

Whts wrong w using recycling bags?

• Jean dudley

You are recycling the bag.....

• Dawn Renee' Lemons Freeman

Not a thing! But most of us have these plastic bags, and their GREAT to use as trash bags in the car, too put wet swim suits or clothes in so they don't get everything else wet, to use as lunch bags, or any number of other things. To the OP--THANK YOU for adding to fold the handle of the first bag so that it hangs out! I saw this about a year ago, but without that VERY IMPORTANT step! I had to unroll all my bags so they would pull from the center.

• Darlene

How many bags will the clorox container hold?

• About how many bags can you fit into the Clorox container? I like this idea to keep in my cat box area- it won't take up any room, and I won't get 12 coming out when I pull on one!

• Kathy Gilbert

I also use bags for my kitty area....I think I will try a coffee can and just put a hole in the top ...might work

• Kara S.

I rolled about 15 and it fit. The key is getting all the air out of the bag

• Teresa Diane Camp

that's what I use is a coffee can ! the cleaner wipes comes in a small and larger size I have seen at family dollar .

• Rosie

I think it's a very clever idea but I would suggest using a kitchen table or a countertop vs the floor to limit germs.

• Rene

Why would you worry about germs on a plastic bag that is most likely to be used for trash? It already has worse germs on it from the food store.

• Rosie

I don't know I guess it's just me. I would assume the plastic bag my groceries were put in from the store is new, not necessarily sterile but at least not one that had already been on the floor. Once you get down on the kitchen floor and use your hands to start rolling things up your hands themselves are picking up all the bacteria from your floor. Why not choose to limit spreading germs if you can?

• Terri Oberski Lazzari

I use mine for hauling lunches to work, totally agree with the floor remark.

• Sandy Faye

I think she is using the floor for demonstrating purposes so we can see what she is doing. You can do your folding where u want.

• She17848744

Germs happen on all surfaces.. Basically you would roll on a table or counter..and the bags you are recycling have hit the car floor or a seat on a bus or train.. then the floor in your home plus 3 or more sets of hands handled the tps of the bags..

• A. Saucedo

I use an empty clean milk jug with a hole cut in side, and a cut on bottom of handle so its easy to hang.

• Linda Jowers

I double bag mine to use for bagging the litter from the cat box. Then I twist them & roll them in to balls. I have been watching for a thrifted plastic bag holder to see if my rolls would work in that. Do you think this rolled method would work the same way for the doubled bags? Video made it much easier to understand. Thanks

• Josephine

HAS ANYONE TRIED FOLDING THE BAGS IN THIRDS & THEN ROLLING THE[M SIDEWAYS INTO A TRIANGLE UNTILL U GET TO THE TOP, U CAN TO STORE THEM ANYWHERE, ESP. IN YOUR POCKET OR HANDBAG.
    • Elizabeth Fagerstrom

I do the triangle thing. Always carry a couple on me. They come out very small and come in mighty handy.
    • Dianasbeads

I use my empty plastic 28-30 oz. coffee containers. they work great if you fold them twice, then roll. I love this!
  • Mi Mi

So where do you store all the bags until you have enough or are ready to roll them all up? Seems like you're just defeating the purpose. I keep mine in an empty Kleenex box, they come out one at a time-easy peasy! You only need so many bags at a time, I always have way more than I can use so I recycle them at my grocery store.

• Kara S.

I just immediately roll them into the existing roll. It's extremely easy to keep adding to the roll which makes this DIY so great.

• Liz IsTired

I love this idea, so much better then having huge drawstring bags hanging every where!

• Brenda Lambert

I really like this idea, but I sew my own bag holder holders. I have variety of sizes and all seasons and occasions... I take orders, if interested pm Brenda Lambert

• Carey

I decided to try to find a good use for those clorox wipe containers. I have found that they go through the dishwasher just fine. There was a little bit of the solution left in the container, so I poured it into the next one, then washed the container. It makes a great container for the reusable wipes. Then I realized that I could put the reused and washed ones into the same container and not dump out the last little bit of solution and put the reused and washed wipes into it. Now I have some sturdy wipes with disinfectantt solution already soaked into them and I can use and wash them. I use the disposable wipes for things that I want to dispose of the wipe and the washable ones for things that can be just a quick cleanup and still disinfect.

• Dona

I use the smaller version of wetone containers as small trash cans inside my van, they fit perfectly into my cup holders, then when I stop for gas, I empty them out.
    • Rick-Phyl Boudreau

I flatten out the bags, fold them in half lengthwise then again sn fold tem in half and half again. Store 'em in a small shoe box. They fit nicely in my back pocket when walking the pup. It doesn't take much space or time.
    • James Smith

I just use a cardboard box that I reseal and cut a hole on the top and stuff my bags in. They usually come out one at a time.
    • Anna

I use my recycle basket that has a cloth liner that folds over the top. It has handle hole on two sides. I suff my plastic bags thru the handle hole and bags are then between the liner and the inside of the basket. If I need one, i slip my hand into the hole and pull one out. One basket with two uses, right in my small kitchen.
  • Psy11497769

I am a sengager and I am having trouble lining up the bags correctly I watched the instructions I am missing something. in the process. what do I do?

• Kara S.

I'm not sure what you mean?

• Teresa Diane Camp

start with your 1st bag folded half into handles of the bag to the far left that is to keep your starter end available . Now fold all your bags half into all handles to the left. Then take the next bag handles only laying on the bottom of 1st bag ... roll and add another bag repete Hope that helps

• Lin9934369

Easier version use an empty kleenex box and just roll bags up tightly and stuff them in the box very easy and you will be amazed at how many bags fit inside!

• Angela Bahling

An easy and efficient way to compact bags:

Hold handles in left hand.
      With your right hand, make a ring around bag just below your left hand and pull to the end of the bag. Don't let go. This will get air out.
      Extend your index and middle fingers and wrap the bag around them leaving a short "tail".
      Take coiled bag off of your fingers and stick the end down into the hole.

Easy-peasey and takes up very little room in your tissue box!
    • Ash22494743

Angela, this also makes the rolled-up bag look like a rose. So much nicer than the stuffed in way I used to do it.
  • Ton10743166

What do you do with different size bags
  • Donna

FYI. I used a roll from wrapping paper , put a rubber band at 2 places, and just stuff the bags into the roll...no folding and stands easily in a corner. I use for yard pick up after the dogs so I have 2...one at each door outside.

• Natalie Hancock

I just rolled up my Walmart plastic bags. This is such a resourceful idea. Thanks so much.

• Cindy Timms

Thank you for sharing, I'm going to make one right now. I hope mine comes out just as nice ☺️