Reusable Bowl Covers From a Shower Curtain

$30

Ever have a bowl that needs to be covered and it doesn't have a lid... and of course you just ran out of aluminum or plastic wrap? No need to fear! You can make your own reusable covers! These bowl covers are made from a shower curtain and some elastic, and can be made to fit over any bowl or container! They can be washed and reused and can be made in a jiffy! We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
SUPPLIES: -PEVA Shower Curtain *Be sure to get a PEVA curtain, because they are food safe! -Scissors -Thread -Needle -1/4" Elastic
STEP 1: Measure your bowl. Grab a bowl or container of yours that you want to make a cover for and mark an inch and a half all around the opening.

STEP 2: Cut out the circle. Take some scissors and cut out the outline you have drawn around the container you just traced around.
STEP 3: Line the edge with elastic. Take a piece of 1/4" elastic and line the edge of your plastic circle you cut out in step 2 keeping it taut as you go along.
STEP 4: Trim the edges. Cut away any excess elastic once you have wrapped the elastic the entire way around the circle.
STEP 5: Sew on the elastic. Now it is time to sew the elastic to the edge of the plastic circle. Normally, I would use a sewing machine to whip through this really quickly, but I thought I would share a hand-sewing method so that anyone can join in, machine or no machine! First, start by cutting a long piece of thread and tying a knot on one end. Then once it has been fed through the elastic and plastic you will stitch a diagonal line.
Once you have placed one diagonal stitch you will back track and feed the needle back through about 1/8" behind the stitch you just made and then feed it diagonally once again.
Repeat this stitch all the way around the elastic and circle cover. ***REMEMBER keep the elastic taut as you sew being sure to create a pucker with the plastic. If you don't it will not cling to the opening of your container and will be useless.
STEP 8: Tie off the thread. Once you reach the end of the circle tie the thread off in a knot and cut the excess elastic away from the cover.
STEP 9: Cover your bowl. Now just cover up your container and you are good to go!
This thing kind of looks like a shower cap. These are nice and flat for storage, and you can choose the design that is on your shower curtain to make them match whatever you wish!
Look how great this little cover looks.
You can see that this cover still has some slack so it could be used for a larger container if needed!
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

• Jenny

Very timely and you made it look easy ! Can it go in the microwave?

• CJ

I think probably not. I generally avoid putting plastic in the microwave, including plastic food storage containers! But that's my preference.

• Janice

I love this ides, but have a concern. Is there a problem with the shower curtain plastic not being good grade.

• Joy Butler

She said right at the beginning, buy PEVA shower curtain. PEVA is food safe.

• Kauser Arif

Can we use this plastic in microwave

• Yrtto

or use shower caps from dollar store

• Jackie

I love this idea because I can’t find covers big enough for my really large bowls! Thank you!