Tip: Cleaning a Black Granite Sink

+5
To clean black granite sink. Clean with very hot water and dawn detergent. Rinse well. Apply a thin layer of mineral oil the kind you find in the grocery store next to the laxatives. It is approximately $1.49 and is food safe and natural. Use a paper towel or wash rag to apply. Sink will shine. Will need to reapply monthly to maintain.
  • Hillela G. Hillela G. on Jan 19, 2017
    Good to know!!!
  • Missroselady Missroselady on Jan 24, 2017
    Olive oil works also.
  • Missroselady Missroselady on Jan 25, 2017
    Thank you Dee. I did not know olive oil could go rancid in the sink. What about cleaning a stainless steel sink? Mine gets dried out spots all over. I have cleaned it with Dawn, then applied olive oil. Any better suggestions? Mineral oil?
  • Dee Dee on Jan 26, 2017
    You can try baby oil.
  • Missroselady Missroselady on Jan 29, 2017
    I looked for mineral oil. Wow, it was $5.49 at Walgreens. Texas must have better prices than Idaho. Thanks for suggestion of baby oil. That is less expensive.
  • Sherrie Slaboda Sherrie Slaboda on Jan 29, 2017
    I have a dark gray/grey granite sink and the instructions only told me to use dawn and water. No mention of any oil after cleaning.
    • Dee Dee on Jan 29, 2017
      i think the oil is for dark black granite sinks as they turn gray or get white spots. I clean my sink with Dawn too, but then use the mineral oil to bring back the shine.