Making a Dreamy Garden Swing for the Backyard

We have a beautiful, well established garden, but it was lacking something. We had no where to sit and just soak up all that beauty. We'd just recently made a teddy bear swing for some of our soft toys and that got me thinking about making this grown up version for the garden.
making a dreamy garden swing for the backyard

Now I don't know about you, but I've never outgrown my love for swings. It brings back such lovely carefree memories, where the only thing you needed to worry about was high you could fly. These old bones of mine probably couldn’t handle wild swing rides anymore  but I sure could see myself swing gently under the trees after a long, hard day at work. We have lots of big trees in the garden so finding a spot to hang the swing wasn’t a problem. All we had to try figure out was how to make a dreamy garden swing. The seat was easy enough. We just took a few pallets and joined them together and then painted them with white roof paint. We figured if the paint lasts on the roof for years, it would be perfect for a swing seat too.

For the dreamy bits, we used polystyrene shapes that we found at the craft store. We made a hole through the center of each shape before dipping them into water mixed with exterior waterproof grout.

The polystyrene beads were strung onto a two plastic coated wires and secured with rope clamps so they would stay in position. Just for love we added a few metal hearts that we got from a craft store.

We hung the swing in a large River Bush Willow at the bottom of the garden and I couldn't be happier with how it turned out.

So if your looking for me I'll be on the swing, that's if hubby hasn't gotten there first  Wanna join us, I promise we'll give you a turn.

P.S. We've added the full tutorial on the blog that shows how we hang the swing
A Crafty Mix - Michelle

• Pam

I don't have a question, I jus want to say I think this is a beautiful expression of a tender heart and creative mind. It's really amazing. Thank you for sharing and inspiring us.

• Rachael Basye

Do the "beads" get in the way of where your hands would go (so you don't fall off the swing)? Very cute... I love the dreamy look. I wish I had some strong tree branches in my yard.
    • A Crafty Mix - Michelle

Good question Rachael, We spaced the beads far enough apart so they don't cause a problem. My daughter suffers from synaesthesia so she extremely sensitive to rough textures so we had to make sure that it's comfortable for her on the swing too.

• Sheila Bright

My great-grandmother had THE best swing in her giant pecan tree growing up, and she crafted 2 seat sizes that were interchangeable depending on bottom sizes. :) I miss that swing so much, but more than anything I miss her spirit and ingenuity. Your garden swing brings back very happy memories. It's lovely.
  • Caroline Poole

I just came across this post! It made me feel so good(!) that I will likely read it everday. More often if I need a lift. Thanks for lovely visit down memory lane.

This. This part right here is what I need:

"Now I don't know about you, but I've never outgrown my love for swings. It brings back such lovely carefree memories, where the only thing you needed to worry about was high you could fly.

These old bones of mine probably couldn’t handle wild swing rides anymore but I sure could see myself swing gently under the trees...."

Ahhhhhh.....

.

• A Crafty Mix - Michelle

I'm so glad it brought back happy memories for you Caroline  Maybe our old bones can't swing wildly anymore but we can still dream about it and come up with ways to find joy in the simple things in life.