Making a Dreamy Garden Swing for the Backyard

We have a beautiful, well established garden, but it was lacking something. We had no where to sit and just soak up all that beauty. We'd just recently made a teddy bear swing for some of our soft toys and that got me thinking about making this grown up version for the garden.

Now I don't know about you, but I've never outgrown my love for swings. It brings back such lovely carefree memories, where the only thing you needed to worry about was high you could fly. These old bones of mine probably couldn’t handle wild swing rides anymore  but I sure could see myself swing gently under the trees after a long, hard day at work. We have lots of big trees in the garden so finding a spot to hang the swing wasn’t a problem. All we had to try figure out was how to make a dreamy garden swing. The seat was easy enough. We just took a few pallets and joined them together and then painted them with white roof paint. We figured if the paint lasts on the roof for years, it would be perfect for a swing seat too.

For the dreamy bits, we used polystyrene shapes that we found at the craft store. We made a hole through the center of each shape before dipping them into water mixed with exterior waterproof grout.

The polystyrene beads were strung onto a two plastic coated wires and secured with rope clamps so they would stay in position. Just for love we added a few metal hearts that we got from a craft store.

We hung the swing in a large River Bush Willow at the bottom of the garden and I couldn't be happier with how it turned out.

So if your looking for me I'll be on the swing, that's if hubby hasn't gotten there first  Wanna join us, I promise we'll give you a turn.

P.S. We've added the full tutorial on the blog that shows how we hang the swing

Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
Save Your Old Cans For These 31 Home Decor Ideas
Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
Fun Father's Day Gift Ideas You Can Make Yourself
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
Michelle Leslie

• Pam

I don't have a question, I jus want to say I think this is a beautiful expression of a tender heart and creative mind. It's really amazing. Thank you for sharing and inspiring us.

• Jenny

I also adore this precious idea! I've alway wanted to recreate something like this, like I'd had as a child! May need to do this this week! Thanks 4 sharing!

• Rachael Basye

Do the "beads" get in the way of where your hands would go (so you don't fall off the swing)? Very cute... I love the dreamy look. I wish I had some strong tree branches in my yard.
    • Michelle Leslie

Good question Rachael, We spaced the beads far enough apart so they don't cause a problem. My daughter suffers from synaesthesia so she extremely sensitive to rough textures so we had to make sure that it's comfortable for her on the swing too.

• Evelyn

Love this....I love a swing. We hung a porch swing in our back tree 6 years ago. Then a single swing when grandkids come to visit us. Everyone likes to swing.

• Michelle Leslie

So true Evelyn and there's nothing nicer than just sitting on the swing and gently swaying back and forth

• CATHY

I am definitely going to make this Lovely Swing. I also had one when I was little. We had a tire swing in the Oak tree in the back yard. Now here I am all grown up I bought my house gone on 13 years and guess what's in my back yard YEP a good old tire swing. This is going to be a BEAUTIFUL up Date. Thank you so much for Sharing your swing.

• Michelle Leslie

You're most welcome Cathy. The swing is one of my favorite spots in the garden. I love coming home from work and just sitting there, gently swinging. Have fun making yours