How to Clean Copper Bottomed Pots

My mother used these copper-bottomed pots for year and years and gave me some when I left for college. They are pretty great pans and I love using them, but over time the bottom gets tarnished and dirty looking. Thankfully, my mother also taught me how to get them clean and bright looking again! I've since learned of two more ways to get them clean too. We'll start with my mother's method first.
Here are the pots I have. I have three of them, and yes. The bottoms are not so pretty here! Let's fix that....
First, pour regular table salt onto it!
Next, pour some regular white vinegar onto the salt.
Grab a scour pad and scrub in the vinegar into the salt and clean the pan! Be sure to get the sides too! Pour more vinegar and salt onto it as needed until it's all clean.
And here's how it compares to the two other dirty ones!! Amazing difference right?!
Another way to clean them is using Bar Keepers Friend! This time, wet the bottom of the pan with water, sprinkle the Bar Keepers Friend onto the pan, let sit for a minute, then scrub with a paper towel or scour pad, and viola! A clean-bottomed copper pan!
The last way to clean a copper bottom pot, in case you're really desperate for some reason, is to use KETCHUP!
Be sure to head to my blog to watch the videos for the vinegar and ketchup tutorials in action!

If you love these type of practical cleaning tips for everyday things, be sure to check out Speed Clean the Deep Clean: A Collection of Time-Saving Cleaning Tutorials and Tips for Busy Moms! It has 50+ cleaning tutorials and tips to help you get every area of your home looking great, including all of these ways of cleaning copper pots!

Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
15 Memorial Day Crafts
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
27 Wonderful Ways You Can Use Scrapbooking Paper
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
Katelyn Fagan

• Ssh22480665
    Ssh22480665

how do you clean the faberware pans with the stainless bottoms
    • Katelyn Fagan
      Katelyn Fagan

I would use Bar Keepers Friend!
    • Swan Road Designs
      Swan Road Designs

If they are truly stainless steel, you could use Easy-Off oven cleaner. You can't hurt stainless steel. Just spray some on (covering the handles if they are not stainless), then seal the pan in a plastic bag overnight. Any "gunk" should wash right off with little to no scrubbing.
    • Ssh22480665
      Ssh22480665

thanks but where would I purchase the bar keepers friend?

• Julie Ortiz
      Julie Ortiz

I saw in another blog that Bar Keepers Friend was purchased from Walmart.
    • Katelyn Fagan
      Katelyn Fagan

You can get Bar Keepers Friend from Walmart or Target and often your local grocery store too. Look in the kitchen cleaning section.
    • Sue Laswell
      Sue Laswell

I always used Cooper cleaner; it worked great!
    • Linda Shepard
      Linda Shepard

Regarding Farberware - the bottoms of it are aluminum, so the dishwasher really does a number on them. Using SOS pads and BarKeepers Friend is the best solution I've found - other than not putting them in the dishwasher!
    • Ssh22480665
      Ssh22480665

yes they are stainless steal aluminum clad bottoms, that's what it says on the bottom of them

• Cle21376449
    Cle21376449

No Question, but a suggestion.....

Keep the RevereWare pans OUT of the dishwasher. The phenolic plastic handles will stay in much better condition and will not develop the dull, dingy gray/whiteish "stains."

CLE RECTOR
    Granger, Indiana
    • 9530106
      9530106

Alas, the ones my mom has had for 50+ years have never been in a dishwasher. But the handles are not the greatest looking anymore. She does still shine the bottoms, however!
    • Katelyn Fagan
      Katelyn Fagan

Thanks! Yes! I was not happy when my husband put these in the dishwasher.... I think he's finally learned to stop putting pots and pans in the dishwasher!
  • Tilda Landrigan
    Tilda Landrigan

My copper-bottom pans are not only unsightly; they also stain the surface of my white glass-top range. Will these treatments cause more problems?
    • Sharon
      Sharon

Sprinkle on baking soda and use a dampened non scratching scouring pad . For heavily soiled spots leave on a few minutes Then scrub it clean
    • Gail
      Gail

Thanks, I have an old stove and never considered that anything could stain the new stoves with the glass tops.
    • Rjm17667944
      Rjm17667944

Ketchup works great, too.

• Kathy
      Kathy

I have same pans 35 yrs, cleaning w/ Barkeepers Helper, also on ceramic stovetops, after cooling completely, I use razor angled 45 degrees to scrape off overspill, etc. into dust & wipe away. What could be easier?
    • Julia Johnson Black
      Julia Johnson Black

Vinegar and baking soda also works. It's also fun to use.
  • Skay
    Skay

any ideas on handles cleaning??
  • Elizabeth Helmer
    Elizabeth Helmer

Does this work for brass too?
    • Cyndi Dimanno-Valentine
      Cyndi Dimanno-Valentine

Barkeepers friend works freat on brass
    • Elizabeth Helmer
      Elizabeth Helmer

Would it be okay for church brass? I don't want to scratch it! And thank you for the help!
    • Lynne Webb
      Lynne Webb

I would test an inconspicious spot on 'church' brass but my own opinion is, Barkeepers Friend would not harm it. Use a soft cloth and rinse to remove residue. It's a fantastic product. Some dear soul recently did our Altar brass and it looks beautiful.
    • DB
      DB

For Church Brass -- use Brasso tried and true
    • Elaine
      Elaine

For cleaning Brass, I always use Brasso with great results. My Revere Wear pots and pans with copper bottoms, look great and they are now over 40 years old. I use a regular Copper Cleaner for them. I tried ketchup with no luck at all.
  • Ellen King
    Ellen King

I have the same pans and if you put them in the dishwasher it will eventually take off the copper. I used mine for many, many years and then this happens in the dishwasher. Umm, makes me wonder if the finish is just a thin layer of spray on copper. What do you think? Has anyone else had this problem also?

• Ann M
      Ann M

Not at all. I've had my revere ware pans for 44 years. I put them in the dishwasher all the time. In the rinse aid part I poor vinegar. My glasses are beautiful and the brass on the bottom of the pans are always shiny.
    • AJ
      AJ

Ummmm -- Revere Ware pan bottoms are clad in copper, not in brass.
    • Ann dowdy
      Ann dowdy

Ann M do you put the vinegar in the same place that the Jet Dry? And do you use vinegar instead of Jet Dry?
    • Ardale
      Ardale

My grandmother had a whole set of Revere Ware and she always cleaned her copper bottoms with table salt and a lemon cut in half. Made them shine like a new penny!
    • Deborah S Cripple
      Deborah S Cripple

My Revereware is over 40 years old and used all the time...still like new! I always
      Betsy

I wouldn't put Revere Ware, or any pots with non-metal handles, in the dishwasher. The handles will get dull and over time, break. Grab the dish soap and sponge add hot water and look out the window as you wash your pots. I always wash my dishes by hand, it's nice, and the kids stay away because they think you will try and get them to help, so this is some great quiet time. Stretch it out!!! :)
  • Barbara
    Barbara

How do you polish brass?
    • Dana
      Dana

Barbara, if your using copper bottom pots, you can’t keep them clean apart from cleaning them. If your copper is not for use and only for show after you clean them put a clear coat of lacquer on the clean surface. This is the only way to keep the copper clean. Keep in mind it will wear off with handling. This is not recommend for pots.
    • Bird
      Bird

Neverdull
    • Marian B Paschket
      Marian B Paschket

Wrights copper cleaner works great my pans are 50 years old and always clean the insides with the same cleaner food will never stick for you.

• Lisa
      Lisa

Ketchup
    • Jane Doe
      Jane Doe

Red Bear

• Jer24088705
      Jer24088705

I clean lots of brass things I brought home from India in the 60's with salt and rub with !/2 lemon. (I have a lemon tree !) I imagine it would work for copper, too. lemon juice and vinegar are both acidic.
    • Regina Boyd
      Regina Boyd

Brasso.

• Peggy Burnette
      Peggy Burnette

They look like new. Thanks for sharing.

• Dar27905338
    Dar27905338

Is this mainly for copper bottomed pots?
    • Cheryl Buck
      Cheryl Buck

Bar Keepers Friend is a great cleaning product. It can be used on many surfaces. Just make sure you rinse well, otherwise you will have a white powdery residue.
    • Dar27905338
      Dar27905338

Thank you!
    • Tina
      Tina

I use it to clean my glass top stove and it's great and much less expensive. Any rust spots ANYWHERE!

• Steve Bales
    Steve Bales

Can I use this on Stainless Steel pots and pans?

• Georgette
    Georgette

Is only for copper pots or can u do any pot with that.

• Rosemary
    Rosemary

will this clean grease off also?

• Becky Eisenman
    Becky Eisenman

Don’t really have a question just love that someone else likes to stick with the old pans. I have had mine since 1975 and they still look fantastic. Can’t say that about some of the new stuff they are making.

• Pam Davis
    Pam Davis

I swear by Bar keepers Friend. It cleans everything. I have stainless steel pot set and I can have them looking shiny and new no matter how bad they get 🧡

• Joanie
    Joanie

These look absolutely beautiful! So clean.........great job!!