How do I get rid of those hovering flies on my patio?

+22
When we open the slider to go out on the patio,there's this bunch of flies that like To hang out there.We have the water bags with the foil hanging there,they do absolutely nothing.We've tried sprays etc.The patio is clean,and we don't have any animals,except those stupid flies.Does anyone else have this problem,and if so,what's the solution to get rid of them????

• Judy Ferrell Judy Ferrell on May 20, 2017
    try spearmint plants or maybe spraying fly spray on the door itself
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on May 20, 2017
    www.wikihow.com/Make-Natural-Outdoor-Fly-Repellant-with-Essential-oils
  • Harold Cantley Harold Cantley on May 20, 2017
    Spray the area with permethrin, the residual should control for a fairly long time.
  • Michele Pappagallo Michele Pappagallo on May 20, 2017
    For a DIY fly spray that smells great too....Mix 2 cups raw apple cider vinegar with 10 drops of rosemary essential oil and 10 drops of peppermint essential oil. Mix well and keep in a spray bottle. Store the fly spray in the refrigerator when you are not using it.
  • Kathi Davis Kathi Davis on May 21, 2017
    Thanks everyone,I'll try these ideas.
  • Susan Savarese Susan Savarese on May 21, 2017
    Kathi, I don't have any advice to offer, but I sure learned a lot from your question! We have been inundated with dang flies on our screened in porch for three years. Same thing as you, no pets, no reason at all to have them. I'm going to try spraying all the screens and door with the permethrin that Harold suggested! Thank you for asking the question. Please let us know which works for you, I'll be curious!
  • Meme Hess Meme Hess on Jun 10, 2017
    Farmers remedy, 1 or 2 quate size clear plastic bag, fill bag 1/3 full of water, put 5 very shinny new pennies in bottom of bag. Hang or tape near where the flies are! Can use more then 1 bag.
    This really works!
  • Sharon Sharon on Jun 10, 2017
    Ceiling fan with a strip of fly paper hanging from it or a bug zapper.
  • Mae Garrels Mae Garrels on Jun 10, 2017
    Plant pots of basil and set them around your patio. Flies do not like the sent of that plant! You get a bonus of having a wonderful herb to use in the kitchen. When I have company and we want to set out on the patio on a hot summer evening, I cut basil and set it out in vases. We do not eat outside much like we once did but that is when I found out the flies do not stay around when you have cut basil on the tables. There are many varieties of basil, some grow larger than others, some have different flavors/scents but all are good to use for cooking and keeping away flies.
  • Kathi Davis Kathi Davis on Jun 12, 2017
    Mae,thank you so much for that tip,I'll certainly give it a try.
    Meme,I already tried the bags of water with pennies and foil,it hasn't done anything at all,except make guests ask questions.
    Sharon,I have bug zappers on my home depot list of things to buy.Thanks.
    • Stacey Ellen Reiswig Stacey Ellen Reiswig on Jun 02, 2020

Hi Kathi,

We just moved to Capitola a month ago and we've had a group of hovering flies right outside our sliding door since we got here! We have had our bug zapper on since we moved here and it has done nothing to get rid of them.😒

• Amh♡ Amh♡ on Jun 16, 2018
    So the reason they are there is because it means you have a healthy garden and outdoor space :) but yes we have the same problem every year and they hate wind so we keep a fan out. Otherwise yeah we gotta try those other ideas
  • Mimi in the Mountains Mimi in the Mountains on Aug 11, 2019

Karly Bradbury: I LOVE YOU!!! I've been going crazy trying to figure out what is the species of fly that hovers near our doors, and you NAILED IT!!! I'm so relieved to better understand this annoying, little male Fania flies. THANK YOU!

• Martin Martin on Apr 21, 2020

Don't spray them. They are harmless to humans but they feed on aphids and are great pest controllers. When the hover face high they are just saying hello.

• Jim Sorensen Jim Sorensen on May 11, 2020

Hover flies that are very good for your garden. They eat aphids.

• Cricket Trott Cricket Trott on May 15, 2020

We have had them for all the years I have been in CA and I call them Shade Flies. I think they bothered me for a couple years and now they’re just there. They never actually bother anything and once I realized they just wanted shade I was fine with them. We are cool now.

I recently put in a room AC and they moved inside during the heat of the day and not I am sure how I feel about that but they’re gone at dusk.

I am now out on the patio sewing masks and they’re just hovering around just as they have for the 20 years I have lived here. They move out of my way and respect my cup of coffee and now I think I like them. I took a break and decided to look them up to find out more about them.

• Kernel Kernel on Oct 21, 2020

The easiest way to eliminate hoverflies indoors is by treating them like regular flies. Use pest control methods like flypaper, flytraps, and natural methods to catch the pests and stop them from zooming around your head.

• Collin Collin on Jan 10, 2021

Hoverflies are beneficial and totally harmless. However, their striking resemblance with their harmful cousins, wasps, puts them at a disadvantage as most people can hardly differentiate between them. As such people need to know how to get rid of hoverflies to position themselves on the safe side.

Read More: https://hometoolsavvy.com/how-to-get-rid-of-hoverflies/