David McIntosh
David McIntosh
  • Tutorial Team
  • Huntersville, NC

I Found More Storage by Replacing My Double Door Base Cabinet!

$100

The double door base cabinet turned into a giant mess of pots and pans and Tupperware. I need a solution to make it more useable.

This worked so well I did it in another project too.
I removed the 2x doors and the half shelf that was in the back (useless shelf). There also was a pull out box on the bottom, but you had to open both doors to pull it out and items always fell out making it a challenge to get things.
I added some side supports so I could attach the full extension slides. This is to also fill in the space on each side, and bring the wall flush with the face frame.
Here I am adding one of the 22 inch drawer slides.
I will be using drawers so I needed a cross bar. 2x pocket screws on each end hold it in place... along with a tight friction fit.
Here is the drawer box. It is a simple 1/2 inch plywood construction. Cabinet grade Blonde wood plywood.
It is just glued together held together with long staples using my air gun. To add a little strength, I put a few 1 1/4 inch screws just to help hold it together while the glue dried.

After the glue dried... I put on light oak stain/sealant to protect the inside walls and edges. For the base, I put some white contact paper on the bottom.
Here you can see the drawers installed on the glides. They are 9 inch tall drawers in a 10 1/4 inch opening.
Here you can see the fronts I added. The widest board I could buy was 11 1/4" tall, so that determined the size of the drawers and openings I built.
The bottom holds all of our pots and pans with lids. It is a big improvement over what we had before. I may add some dividers one day, but for now... we can see everything easily.
The top is for Tupperware... I wanted the lids to have their own place... so I added a simple runner on each side... allowing me to friction slide the mini shelf forward and backwards. Sliding the top lets us look underneath to get anything in the back.

We love it! Hope it inspires you.

• 1/2inch Plywood  (Knobs)
  • Drawer fronts  (Router for edge profile of drawer fronts)

• A

Where did you get the drawer fronts shown at the end?

• Nancy Wilson

I have one of those corner cabinets that makes it difficult to use. It's an apartment so I can't put in a lazy susan cabinet. I presently store things I rarely use but it's basically empty, while the front half is full. The same thing goes for the upper cabinets in that corner. Do you have a suggestion for a fix on this cabinet problem? I love the drawer solution you've done for my only other below-counter cabinet.
    • Gai28494358

Long baskets like bread baskets 18".
      Or wire chafing dish baskets covered with fabric-- mine were $2 from Sam's. You can attach $1 ball bearing rollers on bottom-- from Harbor freight.
      My blind corner goes to the right 30" past the door. biggest hurdle was the door was only 17" wide so I couldn't get much of a Susan in there.
  • Sandra Lauria

Is it possible to put in the drawers but leave the outside doors as it would be very hard to replicate mine?

• Laurie T

My husband installed a pots and pans on bottom with lid holder on top slide out rack inside my cabinet and I absolutely love it!

My daughter wants one now, as well, for her kitchen...lol!

He bought ours at Lowes. Most hardware stores will carry them.

• KLI122

This is almost the same project I'm working on. My house was built in 1952 and the cabinet you show prior to renovation is the ONLY cabinet in my kitchen and the two little drawers at the top are the only drawers! I recently found a small chest of drawers at a thrift store for $14 that will fit perfectly. My problem is figuring out how to remove the old cabinet to put this one in! Your pictures have given me some ideas. Thanks for sharing.
    • Bernice H

I would love to see it too, and,additionally think a wide dresser for an island is another super idea. We had one and didn’t even think of it. Could have saved quite a few bucks! And we didn’t have a cutting board put in,which would have given just a tad more counter space too.....banging my head here. Do post pics....

• Bernice H

Hello..love what you did! Did I miss how wide this is?❓ We just redid our kitchen,old house narrow drawers. We took out a 5 drawer unit,about 20” ,something like that.i was not happy that I was swapping 5 drawers for 3——33 inch drawers. Oh my,I am soooo pleased and delighted. I can get EVERYTHING in there and I can see and find it all! 🤗👏. Now the pantry..not so happy with. The bottom unit..is great. The top unit,almost useless. All we keep up there on 2 shelves are chips,crackers etc. it is too tall for me on a daily basis. Another thing we did was have an island built,again with deep wide drawers,works super for pots and pans. I don’t think I could go back to narrow drawers again. But I love what you did and am asking hubs , can’t he do this in the bathroom Vanity?

• David McIntosh

My opening is 33 inch wide by 21.5 inch tall... so similar to yours.

I made pull out drawers in the bottom of our kitchen vanity. I build the vanity so I had no middle divider... but if you do.. just take it out and attach a small piece of wood behind one of the doors to close the gap.