Homemade Pressed Flower Candles

$20

Are you looking for a fairly easy handmade gift for that special lady in your life? She may be a friend, your mother, your fiancé, your wife or your sister. In this tutorial I will show you how to press real flowers and use them to decorate glass teacups to make homemade candles. This idea can be used for any occasion, for example birthdays, Mother's Day or weddings. I created this gift specifically in mind for a special bride to be in my life.

To press the flowers:
I gathered my roses from my garden and placed them top side down in my phone book/catalog. I put some heavy books and a box with a bunch of stuff in it on top of my phone book and left it for a couple of days.
The container:
I found these adorable, large sized coffee/tea cups at the dollar store.  You'll want to clean the inside of the cup with windex and some paper towels just to make sure there isn't any unwanted particles inside.
Once I gathered all my pressed rose petals and daisies, I played around with a design and got to work.  With a small paint brush and some Mod Podge I painted the top side of the rose petal with a very light, paper thin coat of Mod Podge. I placed one petal on the bottom and five at the base as shown above.  You'll repeat the gluing steps for the daisies as well.  Just remember, you'll want to put the glue on the side of the daisy that is facing outwards through the glass. I did a layered effect with the petals, covering all empty spaces of glass. I used the top part of the handle to guide me as to how far up I should place the petals.
Side view after flowers are glued on.
Dry Time:
After the petals and flowers are glued on, I let them dry overnight.
Wick Placement, Following Day:
The next day, I placed the wicks.  I took a sharpie marker and a medium sized paint brush to wrap and hold my wick in place.  I taped the brush and marker in place.  I also taped the wrapped part of the wick.  When you pour your wax the wick will move and can come unraveled a bit, so by taping it down it prevents this from happening.  
Following Day Continued:
I took a medium sized pot and filled it with hot water a quarter of the way full. I turned the heat on high to make the water boil. I placed two tin cans full of wax chips within the pot. As the wax melted I added more wax until the cans were about three quarters of the way full. To make sure the wax was melting efficiently, I stirred the wax with a wooden dowel. I also added one fragrant wax melt per can to add a slight fragrance. This is completely optional. When the cans were full I removed them with an oven mitt and slowly poured the wax into the cups. By pouring the wax in slowly, the wicks moved less from where I placed them in the center. I poured the wax to cover the top of my petals.
Rose Petal Placement (Optional):
After I poured the wax, I waited about 5-10 minutes and placed rose petals on top of the candle and away from the wick. Placing the petals away from the wick prevents the petals from catching fire while the candle is lit.
Wait Time:
It takes about 3-4 hours for the wax to completely set.
Wick Cutting:
Once the wax was set, I removed my paint brush and unraveled my wick. I cut the wick to about an inch sticking out from the candle.
Congratulations on successfully making a homemade candle that will make a great gift for any occasion! These candles are one of a kind and no two will be alike. I hope you are as much in love with these candles as I am! Happy Crafting!

15 Perfectly Round Tables
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
30 Gorgeous Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
Quick Easter Egg Ideas That Are Just Too Cute

• Wanda
    Wanda

Did you have the petals lose colour after the wax hardened for a couple of weeks?

• Lisa Sinclair
      Lisa Sinclair

I think silk flowers may be a fire hazard, if they get too close to the wick.

• Lindsey
    Lindsey

Can you use artificial flowers instead?

• GoodPenny
      GoodPenny

Actually tiny silk flowers from Hobby Lobby placed only on the sides would be pretty

• Tammy
    Tammy

Are the wicks glued in?

• Kerri
      Kerri

There is a product called sticky wicks that you can use--little sticky dots that hold the wicks in place and won't move. Hot glue will come loose when you poor the hot wax in.

• Maria Garcia
    Maria Garcia

Mokshaessentials is one of the best essential oils providers that provides 100 % pure & natural essential oils.Also, buy essential oils only @Mokshaessentials.

essential oils

buy essential oils

Carrier oils

fragrance oils

• Billy
      Billy

I only use DoTerra essential oils- they are true to smell and work as they say they will- you know, like getting peanut butter out and pitch- and headaches- etc- have not used the kind you suggest-

really really love the candles and will definitely do that -

• Robin
    Robin

So beautiful! My 9 yr old granddaughter asked me just recently if we could make candles - this looks like a great idea (she can add little trinkets that interest her and I can go with the flowers). Can't wait to tell her - she'll be so excited!

PS - these would make lovely Mothers Day gifts for all the special moms in your life!