How to Paint Faux Brick

$150

Painting Faux Brick is an easy technique and very inexpensive to create. I will admit, it is a little time consuming, but worth the time and effort you put into it.
Here is the wall BEFORE ...
... and here is the AFTER.

It looks so real. This is an great idea for a feature wall and adding an industrial and exposed-brick look -- without the real brick!

Paint the wall with tinted Primer. I use primer instead of paint because I want the dry wall mud to have a good adhesion. Measure the width of the brick from one end of the wall to the other.
Measure the width of the brick and add the tape to the wall from ceiling to floor. Don’t worry about the lines being perfectly straight. It will look more authentic if they are a little off.

Apply small strips of tape to create each brick. Notice they are lined up in the middle of the brick on the bottom.
Apply the dry wall mud about 1/4“ thick with a spatula or trowel. Remove the dry wall mud so you can see the tape. (This will be removed later).  Let dry completely. My full blog post has detailed supply list of everything I used to paint this project.
To create different textures while plaster is still wet.  Use the spatula and other tools such as, a textured roller, knife and anything else you find in your tool chest that might make interesting textures.
I used a combination of 6 different colors to create my brick wall. I would suggest going online and look up different brick walls to find the one that you like the best to help with color selections.
Make some bricks darker than others and just play with the colors. It’s a lot of fun and you will see your wall come to life right before your eyes.
Once you’re done painting the entire wall, remove the tape. You might need a pick to pull the tape away from the wall.

The faux brick adds visual interest to a boring wall!

Cheryl Phan

• Joanie

You did a super job! I love the brick......it looks REAL!!!! That mint green cabinet, I love. This is me, my taste is almost like yours. Which is Homey and cozy!! Thank you!!

• C Crow

Beautiful! Thank you for sharing this technique.