Unique & Gorgeous No-Sew Recycled Jeans Planter

$2

I repurposed some tin cans and recycled jeans to make some gorgeous denim planters. Even though this was a denim project no sewing was involved. A very simple project that shows off the beauty of indigo denim.

As the hems of several pairs of jeans were used it created an ombré effect. The resulting planters looked gorgeous with my favourite succulent plants.
This project is actually a double recycle as well as using the hems and seams of old pairs of jeans I used tin cans.

I cut the seams, hems, and waistbands out of my old jeans. In fact, I had a stash already waiting left over from all my previous denim projects which you can see here. When I recycle a pair of jeans nothing is wasted.
Next, I gathered some tin cans in various sizes.
I then cut my denim hems and seams into strips the same length as the circumference of my tin cans.
Using liberal amounts of Mod Podge (which you can get here), I covered both the tin can and the wrong side of the cut hem with the glue. I carefully wrapped the hem strip around the can and held in place with a pin.
I repeated this process until the whole can was covered. It is nice to use the hems from more than one pair of jeans so that you get different shades of blue.
Once the glue had dried I removed the pins.
To tidy up the join at the back of the can, I glued another denim strip over it.
For bigger tin cans, you can also use the waistbands of jeans.
I love how these tin can planters have turned out. I think they look particularly good with succulents planted in them and they would make a lovely gift.

My teenagers also really like these planters and they all want one for their rooms. I'm keeping these ones for myself but I will be making more for them.

• Jeans
  • Tin cans
  • Mod podge

18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
25 Impressive Ways You Can Update Your Ikea Purchases!
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
Claire at Pillarboxblue

• Carol Schultz
    Carol Schultz

I wonder if this would work for outside planters if one used the E6000 glue?
    • Dayna Gibson
      Dayna Gibson

I would say yes on the E6000. But you will have to coat the inside of tin can as it will rust away. I'd just use a cheap dollar store glass or plastic pot. make sure to poke holes in bottom for drainage & put gravel in bottom of pot. I also use a coffee filter to keep the soil from washing out.